Thoughts on next upgrade

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:27 pm

See, I'm more of a tube guy for overheads. Partially cause I haven't grabbed a pair of SDC's for heads yet, but that's aside the point.
Or royers, those are nice as well..

Also might want to consider LDC's on toms. Been using some 4033's on toms for a couple years now and I love it. of course there is nothing wrong with a 421, but you can use a pair of LDC's for quite a few different applications as well.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SpencerMartin » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:12 pm

Just for fun? Can anyone guess the type of microphone used on the toms in this song?

There's a very clear, isolated hit at 1:03.

jdier
audio school

Post by jdier » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:41 am

Jim Williams wrote: RE-20, for kick and other stuff.
I love this suggestion. I have two RE20's and it is rare that one or both are not in use. GREAT on kick.

I also like the SM7 on kick quite often.

Both kill on 15" bass cabs and can work for vocals as well.
--
Jim Dier
Home Recording Hobbiest

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:29 am

The RE-20 is unusual as it has a flat response out past 18k hz, rare for dynamic mics. The low end is also great because of the large diaphram area. Even so, it does exhibit pretty good transient response. Preamps shape them into many uses. Use a tube mic pre and it's U-67 like. Use a super fast transistor preamp like what's his names and it sounds more like a fast, large diaphram condenser mic.

No proximity effect: super useful for low bass singers that need to get close. A great fix for whinny female singers. Excellent for kick drum because of the transient response, low end response and lack of proximity effect. Move it about inside the drum and only the tone changes, not the low end. Frank Zappa used to put one inside every tom on stage for recording, hear them on his 1970's stuff along with those guitar preamps in all of his guitars I put in.

It's also a favorite on brass, especially baritone sax. Great on Fender Champs micing up blues harp. Every room should have one.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades