Field Recording Mic Recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am

I have no experience with field recordings, but since a couple people mentioned omnis, the Naiant omnis are mostly well-liked around here and they're cheap.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:26 pm

ubertar wrote:
Sheep in Punk Clothing wrote:a true binaural recording involves a dummy head
A pair of "tape op omnis" or the like inserted in your own ears will work. Even if you're a Rhodes scholar.
*chortles*

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:30 pm

ott0bot wrote: I love the OktAva modded mc012's because they are already pretty gain heavy and you can pad them for louder sources. .
yea I'm a fan of those. I have the matched 3 capsule set "stock" and I'm wondering what the mod is and how you're perceiving it. feel free to Pm if you feel like it would be a thread hijack.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:08 am

Sheep in Punk Clothing wrote:
ott0bot wrote: I love the OktAva modded mc012's because they are already pretty gain heavy and you can pad them for louder sources. .
yea I'm a fan of those. I have the matched 3 capsule set "stock" and I'm wondering what the mod is and how you're perceiving it. feel free to Pm if you feel like it would be a thread hijack.
not too much of a thread hi-jack:

I used a stock pair in school, and have only owned a modded pair. I picked them up for less used and modded than I could find a stock pair. I was a bit disappointed, one had a gain issue, and they were really peaky. I sent them in to Michael and he ended up replacing one, refurbishing the other, and rematching them for free (cost of shipping)...it was a really old mod and the customer had done some additional mod later.

now they are great. super clear with out being bright. the stock ones are a bit muddier, less precise. transients seen cleaner with the modded ones, but they still have a nice mellow sound.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:45 am

hey thanks for your insight

I'll have to look more into this..