Where did all the smart, funny & nice people go?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:02 pm

To be serious, then, I have a job where I'm on the pooter a lot of the day.

And, I have a laptop turned on right next to my DAW at home.

Consequently, I can be a pretty present annoyance, most days.

That said, the accuracy of the knowledge here is something I quite value.

There are other sites around that - forgetting about the bad 'tudes and trolls and ego-wankers - just have an overload of crap, and so much of it just fashionable, half-baked or plain wrong.

What I learn here tends to be correct, in the sense of usable, practical, approachable and repeatable.

Now, about that black EQ ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:34 pm

That Radio Shack EQ is real. My cousin had it for a few months in summer-fall 1992 sounded like a pultec mixed with an API 550a. She lost it in a tornado the following November down in Kansas.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:12 pm

THAT ^^^^^ :lol:

I have an MX-5050 that John French just redid the heads for, and I'm terrified to try to set it up. I feel kinda stupid posting about it when there's a ton of information out there already, but if the pump needs a little re-priming...

...People still do that, right? Prime pumps?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Y'know, something else I just thought of is that with everything becoming more specialized, it's a lot harder to maintain focus on one individual board. For instance, back in the day if I was messing around with a guitar I might post about it here. But now there's TDPRI or whatever that I could post on. Except that I don't, because it's too hard to keep track of it all.

Huh. Or maybe I'm just repeating what other people have said.

GAAAAH! And I just attempted to change my avatar, only to find out that I've totally forgotten how it all works... AFTER deleting my pic of DB Cooper. :(

www.andysmash.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:58 pm

I just sold my Tascam MS-16... So I could afford a PT9HD/HD2 system...

Things I'd never think I'd say back in 2003.

I loved the MS16 during the early days and the "learning" pro tools days and then again the last few years when another one entered my life and ATR got the slitting for the 1" tape figured out.

I had been on a digi 001 running protools 5 and 6.4 and then a Mix Plus TDM running 6.4 for the last 14 years. I finish my last project on that rig tonight and then spend the next few days installing the new system..

Finally, being on software from 2004, running on a computer from 2002, with hardware from 1998 wasn't feasible anymore! :D I made some kick ass records on that set up though, the digi 001 included. I've discovered that there are actually some really good sounding plug ins for PT now! Good timing because it seems all my outboard gear from the 80's and 90's is dying...

Sure, dumping drums and bass off of the tape machine into the above mentioned rig made things sound "better" and cool.. but now.. I think I can say, that technology has, for me at least, made me ok selling the 1" machine to afford the HD rig from 2010... Something I'd never dream of affording back then.

Had it been a 2" machine, probably a different story.

This isn't an analog/digital argument... just showing the difference from here on 2003 when Otari 8 track machines and FMR Real Nice Compressors were the rage, and still should be. I'm happy that I've reached a new point in gear availability and record making but with some "new to me" set of tools that weren't available to me 10-12 years ago, much like the spirit of this magazine this board was founded on.

I'm still hanging onto my SPX90, Effectrons, Symetrix 501's, ART VLA's and DBX 160 xt's though!!!

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:35 pm

WOW. That's a switch all right. I've tried several times to use computers to make music, but I just can't seem to make it... do... the things. Maybe I'm just living in the past, I dunno. But that's probably another factor in the thinning of the crowd--computer-based technologies aren't as... arcane, I guess, as analog recording tech can be.

Like, here I've been doing this stuff for almost 20 years, and I still can't set up my own deck. And in a way, I don't need to. But that skill set is still out there, like the Great Whale Moby Dick, and the only way I'm going to develop it is to learn it from someone else. That's what I mean by arcane. Take away the... arcane.. eous... ness and you lighten the burden for things like the TOMB.

Which it seems like this would be a good thing, because of course we can all be out sharing our music on Bandcloud or Soundcamp, or what have you... but then the problem becomes one of interconnected... ness, and there's no particular reason to interact any more. It's an interesting dynamic. Which I'm sure I have NOT done a very good job explaining, but I sure do get it in my head. (Boy do I EVER get it in my head.) ;)

EDIT: Also, I just got ahold of an SPX90. So I may be picking your brain about that thing, if & when I ever get things rolling again.

www.andysmash.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:02 pm

trodden wrote:I just sold my Tascam MS-16... So I could afford a PT9HD/HD2 system...
That's very exciting, Trods!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Post by christiannokes » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:18 am

I always have lurked and I never asked a lot of questions, but I did paid close attention to the questions that other people asked and the answers that followed. Learned so much here and I do get a cozy feeling when I think about Tapeop.

My experience is similar in that I feel like I have learned enough to get the kind of results that I am happy with and now it's just a matter of putting more time into doing... but being busy with a new wife, job, preparing for kids and maybe even a civil war... there are only so many hours in a day.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Well, Mr. Joly, if you wander up to Montana in your travels this round I can promis you gorgeous mountain views and at least some beer.

I could definitely use some win-win-win arrangements. Trying to get back into full time audio out here in the mountains is a challenge.

Don't have a ton of Vintage mic's to shoot out against, but at least have an 87 and a Flea 47 we could add to the shootout.. that's about it really.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:00 am

Life got in the way (out of state parents dying, day job responsibilities grew, house stuff, etc.).

But also interests shifted back to working on performing instead of documenting. I did need something recorded, and not only did I connect with a studio that frequented this board (Thanks Neil- Old Blackberry Way Studios Mpls), the knowledge I gleaned from this board helped the sessions go extremely smoothly, even as a client.

I still will search this board for various advice or reminders- even though it doesn't get the dozens of posts per day like it did in its heyday, this is still probably the best recording resource database available on the internet. Even without a single additional post, this community will reign supreme forever.

This is a good reminder to keep visiting and maybe try posting more. Good to hear from everyone!

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:17 am

Wagz wrote:Well, Mr. Joly, if you wander up to Montana in your travels this round I can promis you gorgeous mountain views and at least some beer.

I could definitely use some win-win-win arrangements. Trying to get back into full time audio out here in the mountains is a challenge.

Don't have a ton of Vintage mic's to shoot out against, but at least have an 87 and a Flea 47 we could add to the shootout.. that's about it really.
Thanks for the invite! I would be bringing my own U 47, U 67, U 87, KM 84 and Coles 4038.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:37 pm

I'd say I have Mic envy but you sort of are a mic guy..
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:29 pm

it just hasn't been the same since jeff robinson got banned.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:it just hasn't been the same since jeff robinson got banned.
I have thought the same thing.

Not that I want him to come back or anything.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:09 am

Was that the "$35" guy?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.