Cymbals

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 am

you can also try something like this:

www.mycymbal.com

(the memphis drum shop) - they record each exact cymbal. of course then its up to your ears, monitors, etc. but still better than buying blindly off the internet. but then a lot of folks played Paiste specifically because they did not have the variations between cymbals that a lot of brands had. If you bought a 2002 18" crash, it sounded like a 2002 18" crash. consistency is good sometimes.

I think it was said earlier but try lots of different sticks - especially when using the tips on hats or rides. different sticks will give dramatically different results sometimes. crashing or using the shoulder of the stick on the hats, not so much difference...

I swap sticks around a lot when I'm trying to get a different sound on a recording.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:49 pm

Jim Williams wrote:Many used to go to the factory to pick them out, they used to allow that.
Otherwise, any from the 1960's are a great find if they haven't been damaged.
That's interesting. I've never heard about that. Would be worth the trip if it were reasonably close for sure.

A lot of the 60's relics I've heard were pretty cool in one way or another.

Besides the Dream Bliss offerings Sabian has recently introduced a new line that's pretty interesting called "Big & Ugly"

They're reminiscent of older cymbals and do sound quite nice. I think they dropped the ball as they're ALL rides or crash/rides. A pair of hats and smaller ones would really round out the series and make more sense to me. There must be a reason for this though I can not think of one. *shrugs nards*

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:50 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:you can also try something like this:

www.mycymbal.com

(the memphis drum shop) - they record each exact cymbal. of course then its up to your ears, monitors, etc. but still better than buying blindly off the internet. but then a lot of folks played Paiste specifically because they did not have the variations between cymbals that a lot of brands had. If you bought a 2002 18" crash, it sounded like a 2002 18" crash. consistency is good sometimes.

I think it was said earlier but try lots of different sticks - especially when using the tips on hats or rides. different sticks will give dramatically different results sometimes. crashing or using the shoulder of the stick on the hats, not so much difference...

I swap sticks around a lot when I'm trying to get a different sound on a recording.

Mike
Thanks for your insight.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:34 am

Agreeing with everyone here. Go to the biggest drum shop available to you. Drag along your keeper cymbals that you're matching to. Be nice to your salesperson.
Ivan the Threadstopper

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:07 pm

Big +1 on mycymbal.com if you don't have a great drum shop around.