Anyone supplementing their backups with cloud?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Anyone supplementing their backups with cloud?

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:38 pm

In the middle of catching up with closed out projects and their backups and just curious if anyone is supplementing their system with cloud based stuff? I'm about to take the plunge?as a Google Fiber customer I get a free 1TB plan with Google Drive, which I will experiment with as an extra backup for my work in progress. I have a pretty serious internet connection with them so it should be pretty painless to get important stuff on there. If that works out, I'll see if I can convince one of my clients to invest in something similar to keep his projects safer (as he has MANY).

I'm currently using a multitude of internal/external hard drives + blu rays depending on the project, but something offsite is appealing too (as a supplement, I would not use it as my only backup).

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Cloud backups

Post by alexdingley » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm a big fan of CrashPlan online backups. I run time-machine in-house for my fast-access backups... but Crashplan has been amazing. it's block-level data backup, so if you relocate a bunch of large files on your mac/pc, it doesn't have to re-backup everything... it just relocates the folder structure in the backup set. Really smart, really seamless. Not super-expensive. I pay $13.99/mo for a 5-computer plan. It's cheaper if you're just doing a single machine. Also... for free, the CrashPlan software will let you back up to a network drive, or any other computer on your network. ...so simply having it as another archiving system in-house isn't bad either.

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:54 am

+1 for crashplan. I just joined recently, and it took 6 days to do the initial backup, but now that it's running it works great and is good peace of mind. Like alexdingley I still use time machine for fast recovery and a bootable copy of the computer. Crashplan is just data.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:26 am

When I posted this one of my (many) externals was acting up, so I pulled up its associated backup drive and made zip archives of each folder (turned 230gb into 84gb), which took overnight...then I uploaded that into my google drive acct. when I tried to upload without zipping it was taking forever, but as zip files it only took a few hours to go. The projects that this drive contained haven't been touched in a couple years (but eventually probably will be) so I thought this would be a good candidate to sit on the cloud for extra backup.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:44 am

That Crashplan does look like a good product. I'm gonna try to get my client to sign up for that. Anyone pushing it to its limits? For example, my client has probably 10s of terabytes of his various projects audio, photos, videos...

Indian
audio school

Post by Indian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 am

Backups are more important now than ever, new crypto viruses can lock all your files and no decryption is possible. Only backups can help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... todefense/

Minor malware like this http://soft2secure.com/knowledgebase/saleplus can cause much damage too

So, either cloud or separate drive - do make backups!

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:29 pm

I got a Dropbox pro subscription ($90/year I think) for sharing files with clients, but one day I got an email saying they were giving everyone TEN TIMES THE SPACE for free. so now that I have a whole terabyte in the cloud, I use it for backup as well. Very handy, and you can easily access your stuff with the mobile app.