Four Track Mic Choice -- dynamic or condensor?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Four Track Mic Choice -- dynamic or condensor?

Post by banana brains » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Anybody have any opinions on choosing mics specifically for four track recording? I'm finding that dynamics seem a little quieter. I know that my ears might be playing tricks on me. Also, with such a limited frequency response on cassette, a dynamic mic seems to fit the bill.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Well if your recorder doesn't provide phantom power, and you aren't using external pres, then I guess that leaves dynamics and ribbons..

Otoh, a condenser will typically give you more detail, which though it may get a bit smeared on the cassette, will still be better in terms of noise than trying to EQ detail out of a dynamic.

I've had good luck with all kinds of mics using external pres.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:16 pm

what's the source?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:44 am

drumsound wrote:what's the source?
What he said ^^^^. I'm using both. I'm also finding that my few remaining cheap, overly bright condensers sound better hitting the 4 track then they do in digital. It makes perfect sense really.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:56 am

With just 4 tracks it won't be too hard to just try everything you have available. See what flatters your source the best by swapping them out and moving where they are placed.

This is a question best answered by trial and error I think because there are too many variables for someone removed from the situation to give a specific answer.

That said I've had luck with all the types of mics on a 4 track..and It's always different depending on what it is you're doing exactly..

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:37 pm

I'm mainly recording acoustic guitar and vocals simultaneously with just a single mic.

I tested an m88, m201, sm58, sm57 and a PPA LD1 condenser last night. THe condenser just sounds harsher to me, but definitely brighter and I guess more detailed. I'm going to listen again tonight though.

I just ordered a Heil PR30 (based on a suggestion from Heil after explaining what I'm trying to do) and I also ordered a cloud lifter. I can't get enough clean gain from the 424 preamps using dynamic mics.

Excited for next week!

Also taking the 424 into the shop for new belts and alignment. Its going to be sweet yo.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:23 pm

I bought two of these little Shure 4-channel half-rack mixers (SCM268) to use with my 424. They provide phantom power, mic and line inputs, slightly better preamps than the Tascam, and most importantly the ability to submix 4 mics to one track or even daisy chain them for up to 8 mics to one track! Having those opens up so many more possiblities for 4-tracking! And they're very cheap used.

Edit: Found a picture

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:40 am

Some audio gear, likely including budget 4-track units, don't have the full 48 vdc phantom power. A lot of install gear has that issue. Most mics will work, but some won't and some will not sound as good as they should.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:27 pm

no phantom power on tne 424. I use an external phantom power box.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Fri May 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Well I think i've decided that a simple sm58 sounds the best for my particular situation, which is recording acoustic guitar and vocals simultaneously with a single mic. Although, I haven't tried a bunch of condensers.

I have been recording a bunch of tunes and I have used an SM58, Beyer m88, beyer m201, and a heil pr30.

The sm58 is the only one that I can get to sound fairly good on both vocals and guitar. The Heil has a really interesting sound, but its also kind of weird in my situation. The M88 was the best for vocals, but the position of the mic (to achieve level balance I had to keep it close to my mouth) made the guitar sound less than pleasing. The M201 sounds great on acoustic guitar but not great on my vocals.

So, I decided my SM58 is going to fit the bill, not the best on either source alone, but does the best on both together.

I'm using a cloud lifter too so that helps a lot.

sir hills
gettin' sounds

Post by sir hills » Wed May 06, 2015 4:01 pm

If it works & it sounds good, you're set...rock the 58! They're a fairly hated mic, but for a condenser/424 pairing I always had success with a C1000 powered by a 9V battery internally. It'll be "crispier" than the 58/cloudlifter but can be cool for some things, plenty of gain & will give you ambient room leakage as well. For backups - I used to lay the C1000 on a floor tom & sing at the head...just to where I could get it resonating a little...cool/interesting reverby backups.