Using EQ while recording acoustic guitar???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 am

Small diaphragm mic on the 12th fret, away from the sound hole.

Still too boomy? Back off another foot.

Really, that should take care of it. (I don't recall you posting exactly where you're currently placing your mic).

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:47 am

Face your microphone into a corner in the room and play toward that corner.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Interesting idea but In my experience corners tend to accumulate bass so that's not likely to be better for resolving this issue.
the new rules : there are no rules

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:49 am

In all fairness, the placement of a mic in a corner and its final result (the recording) is also dependent upon spacing, the distance the mic & source are from the corner. It is better to try it than just fluff it off as something that won't work and assume there will be bass build up. Personally, I prefer facing the mic at the acoustic guitar. I'm just trying to help get a result that seems to be alluding us. Another viable approach to this is to aim the microphone down from over your shoulder/head as if the microphone is your right ear. If you like the way it sounds while you're playing the guitar in that room, then this mic technique may capture some of that "magic".

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:21 am

Yeah, there's no rules. Just eq it. If you're compressing it too, it'll help the compressor, as there's a lot of energy in the low end that will confuse the compressor.

But, make sure that the boominess you're hearing isn't actually up too far into the low mids. If it's a very sparse arrangement, then it's nice to have that big low end of the guitar (minus the low mid mud if that's what you have. It's what I almost always have with acoustic guitars in my crappy room) Rolling all that off in a dense mix is probably advantageous, but if it's sparse, then it's nice to have some of the lower bass to fill it out and make the vocals sound better.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:20 am

I'm curious how dino is making out on this issue...dino?

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:12 am

Sorry for abandoning the thread guys... I've been sidetracked with loooong work days and the little wifey's health issues for a week or so. I'm taking her in for MORE tests today. Gotta take care of her because she's put up with me for 41 years.
I'm moving some things around to sort of "un-deaden" the space and give me some room to experiment with different mic placement. I've pulled out the omni mic as well as a few others and set them on stands. I'm going to change out the strings this week and get practiced up. I'm thinking that although it's alien to me, I'm going to have to record the guitar first and the vocals separately. Again, with humble gratitude this old guy thanks you all for your suggestions. This little project is long overdue and may represent the last time I get to use this stuff before I need to begin selling things to cover medical expenses.
ya'll be well....d
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:27 am

I wish your wife all the best. May she find the goodness in every day. Peace and good luck!!!