1 inch 16 track studios?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MusicGal
audio school

1 inch 16 track studios?

Post by MusicGal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:31 am

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any place still running a 1 inch 16 track machine to do some reasonably priced transfers to DAW? I mostly recorded 2" 24 track (already transferred) but have a few to move over.

There only 3 reels - one for sure is 15ips (5 songs) the other 2 aren't documented on the track sheets, but were done at the same studio (Trax in L.A. - now defunct) at different times and only contain 2 songs each going by the sheets... (possibly 30ips)

I've seen a few high end places that would cost as much as just buying a machine and doing it myself, but hopefully there are better options - even though the 1" machines seem to be less common. I will do the tape baking in advance.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Re: 1 inch 16 track studios?

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:49 am

MusicGal wrote:I'm wondering if anyone knows of any place still running a 1 inch 16 track machine to do some reasonably priced transfers to DAW? I mostly recorded 2" 24 track (already transferred) but have a few to move over.

There only 3 reels - one for sure is 15ips (5 songs) the other 2 aren't documented on the track sheets, but were done at the same studio (Trax in L.A. - now defunct) at different times and only contain 2 songs each going by the sheets... (possibly 30ips)

I've seen a few high end places that would cost as much as just buying a machine and doing it myself, but hopefully there are better options - even though the 1" machines seem to be less common. I will do the tape baking in advance.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
What area are you in? I know Chris Mara at Welcome to 1979 in Nashville refurbishes and sells MCI reel to reels, pretty sure they have everything from 2-24 track in 1". No idea of the cost for transfer.

One of the studios here in Phoenix just bought a newly redone 1" Mara Machine from them. Send them a line, they are pretty resonable and Catherine is super nice.
http://513recording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:14 am

If the budget is strict and you can find a decent machine (without having to put tech work in) maybe buying your own machine and selling it when you are done isn't a bad option?

Or logging a few hours at a studio that has a machine and doing it yourself?

But yes, having your location would be crucial towards getting the best help.

MusicGal
audio school

Thanks!

Post by MusicGal » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:03 am

I appreciate the replies -

FWIW Location isn't too important - I'm in Florida but can ship the tapes just about anywhere within reason - and they don't need to be returned if the transfers are clean.

It's should be super simple for someone with the right setup.

I've already contacted Chris Mara but haven't heard back yet - he doesn't have such a machine currently.

I'll give 513 a shot. Thanks!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:10 am

I know they used to have one in the studio at UB (University at Buffalo), but the guy who ran that program (Steve Meyers; GRHS, awesome guy) is long gone. If you don't get anywhere with Chris or the other place, feel free to PM or e-mail me (RhythmGJ at Yahoo dot com), and I'll be glad to try to hook you up with someone who can hook you up (if possible!)...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:46 am

Not sure if they have it, but I think the Magic Shop in NY does a lot of archival type work, so they might be worth reaching out to.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:22 am

get in touch with these folks:

http://www.sonicraft.com/Analog_To_Digi ... ear.html#6

the guy behind that shop is the leader/moderator of the Scully Yahoo! group and dude knows his business.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:41 am

dirtfloor.com

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Transfers

Post by Osumosan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:30 pm

David at Thinbrownline is nice and quite reasonable. And he's on the left coast.

MusicGal
audio school

Post by MusicGal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:34 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions - I've found someone in OR that had everything I need so I'm all set!