Hardware multiband compressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Hardware multiband compressor

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 pm

So I sold my mixer little bit back and just been mixing in the box for a bit now. Meanwhile I've been saving to get a hybrid set up back up and running again. Mixing with an actual console just so much fun! Recently I mixed a record and used a multiband comp on the mixbuss (Ozone) and I think Ive fallen in love.
So in the guise of working towards my hybrid set up is there a multiband compressor that you guys would recommend that would rival the quality of Ozone? Lookin get I spend upwards to $1000, but less is better of course ($500 or less would be optimum). So what's out there?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:53 pm

I can't think of anything that would be in your budget. Maybe there are some older sleeper untits - Ashley, Orban, or Valley people? You'may have better luck just using and compressor with a key input and a separate eq. Now...that's just one band at a time, but it will work for most jobs.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Cool thanks for the reply. One think I've thought about, which I think I may have even read on here years ago, is getting a crossover and hooking up something like an seperate FMR RNC in each crossover band. Would that even work or just be a mess?

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Would that even work or just be a mess?
Yes, and yes. :shock:

Seriously, not many hardware multiband compressors out there that I know of. Think about it, it's basically a crossover with multiple compressors, for a very limited demographic even in the audio world. Not gonna find many cheap ones.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:31 pm

Not on the mix buss, but Larry talked about using a Behringer crossover to create multiband compression (and EQ) and reviewed it back in issue #34: http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/34/super ... crossover/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:01 am

there was a BSS multiband compressor. The TubeTec multiband compressor sounds really nice, but is gonna set you back more than a grand.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:21 am

I did see this while looking at other gear today:
Drawmer 1973
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1973

A bit more than your budget, but who knows, maybe one will come up used for less.

ChrisNW
gettin' sounds

Post by ChrisNW » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am

Other high-end options include the Maselec MLA-3 (way, way north of $1k, but just noting another hardware unit).
ott0bot wrote:You'may have better luck just using and compressor with a key input and a separate eq. Now...that's just one band at a time, but it will work for most jobs.
This could be worth considering. I believe you can score a used Drawmer 1968 for like $800, which is a killer unit and has a sidechain i/o. That '73 also looks interesting!
Audio Mastering in Portland, OR
www.vitamastering.com

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:02 pm

What did you like about mixing into the multi-band? There might be some other way of getting the same magic.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:What did you like about mixing into the multi-band? There might be some other way of getting the same magic.
I actually don't enjoy using them that much, too many knobs & variables. haha

When I'm recording a project, tend to mix on the way in, so there isn't as much correctioned needed. However, they are helpful when I'm mixing music I didn't record, since i find most people tend to be more conservative and just record what is there, then leave all the choices during mixing (why God?!). Say you have a multi-mic'd acoustic guitar, but the phase is wonky or there is some crazy room modes, I can usually use a mulitband to subdue or push the frequencies that'll fix the issue without extreme eq. Great for poorly mic'd stuff with too much proximity effect, as well.

I find they can also make an anemic mix more beefy, without having to go back and eq and compression a bunch of stuff track by track. Usually though, I'll leave that to mastering or just redo the mix to sound proper.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:50 pm

My question was for the OP, although your answer is perhaps not unuseful, as well.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:51 pm

the ozone is a killer plugin and very powerful - i doubt you can approach it in hardware
without spending a lot money! it's really mastering that you are getting into at that point.

i use a UBK fatso with a eq in the sidechain to filter the lows a bit but that's not half of what a multiband can do - and that'll still set you back $2500+
the new rules : there are no rules

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:38 am

Whoa, getting some action on this thread. Rad!
drumsound wrote:there was a BSS multiband compressor. The TubeTec multiband compressor sounds really nice, but is gonna set you back more than a grand.
Just looked into the BSS. Four bands and sells used in my price range. Have you used it? Please tell me it sounds good! :)
As for the TubeTec, I wish. That's like a Bricasti, a maybe someday but most likely not.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:02 am

Rhythm Ranch, thanks for the read. Dan Rathbun and Larry are heavy weights. Definitely something to consider.
Otto that drawmer 1973 looks awesome. If need be I could possible save another $500, or keep my eye out for used.
Joninc oh yea Ozone is amazing. I use it all the time. For this though, I wouldn't need the EQ, exciter, reverb, limiter, dither, or imager. Just the multiband.

Injured Ear
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Injured Ear » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:44 am

If you're talking about a BSS 901, it is a mono unit. You would need 2 and I am not sure if they can be strapped together for stereo.
Also, it's 4 individual tunable bands of compression, so there's no crossovers between bands. It's great for fixing problem sources.

Do you have your heart set on staying analog for your outboard?
If you're not opposed to digital outboard, find a used DBX Quantum or TC Finalizer. Both can be had for under $1k. You can also use them as your A/D converter to print mixes into your computer.