Hardware multiband compressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:47 am

Brett Siler wrote:Whoa, getting some action on this thread. Rad!
drumsound wrote:there was a BSS multiband compressor. The TubeTec multiband compressor sounds really nice, but is gonna set you back more than a grand.
Just looked into the BSS. Four bands and sells used in my price range. Have you used it? Please tell me it sounds good! :)
As for the TubeTec, I wish. That's like a Bricasti, a maybe someday but most likely not.
I'm sorry, I don't have one. I've been intrigued, but never pulled the trigger.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:27 am

Brett Siler wrote: For this though, I wouldn't need the EQ, exciter, reverb, limiter, dither, or imager. Just the multiband.
yep - i was only talking about a mb. they are complex pieces and i think that's why you don't find too many models that are affordable in hardware land.
the new rules : there are no rules

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:21 pm

I've used the Tube Tech before - zero complaints (well, other than price...).

I did a quick google search, and it turned up a couple things I'd never heard of.

SM Pro Audio make the MBC502, a 200-series 2 band compressor. They're $400 each, I'm not totally certain about stereo linking...

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ ... es/mbc-502

And looking at that, I'm reminded about one of my ol' secret weapons, the Rane DC24. Dual channel comp/gate/limiter, but with a mode that can insert a crossover to run the channels in parallel. I've only got the one, so I'm not totally certain about using two of them for stereo 2-band. Not the greatest compressor, but they sell for like $100.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Injured Ear wrote:If you're talking about a BSS 901, it is a mono unit. You would need 2 and I am not sure if they can be strapped together for stereo.
Also, it's 4 individual tunable bands of compression, so there's no crossovers between bands. It's great for fixing problem sources.

Do you have your heart set on staying analog for your outboard?
If you're not opposed to digital outboard, find a used DBX Quantum or TC Finalizer. Both can be had for under $1k. You can also use them as your A/D converter to print mixes into your computer.
Hmm thanks for the info on the BSS. Not opossed to digital at all. In fact I was going to ask about a few TC electronics units like the Triple C, or any of the Finalizer. Anyone use the multiband features on them?
Also the DBX Quantum II was featured in Bob Kat's Mastering Audio book, so it's gotta be pretty awesome if he's recommending it. I here the user interface is kinda a pain with all the menus crammed in a tiny screen.
Scum the Rane DC24 has been on my wishlist for a minute. I here it's a pretty good comp, especially for what they go for.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:What did you like about mixing into the multi-band? There might be some other way of getting the same magic.
For a lack of a better description it just made things pop. Everything sat in their own space a little better. The guitars really seemed to love it. What I did was get a balanced mix with the faders and pan pots, then strap a few things on the Mix Buss and go from there.
On the Multiband I was very gentle with each band. Most bands had a ration of 2:1 or 2:5 except the sub bass I put it at 4:0. I only compressed about 2db of each band. On this particular mix I set the crossover points at 20hz-130hz, 130,-800, 800-10KHZ (10KHZ-20KHZ I didn't end up compressing).
I did some very mild EQing only boosing or cutting by 1.5db or less, and final a Ozones limiter, again only shaving off 1 or 2 db peaks.
So the chain was EQ-Multiband-Limiter. None of this was used to achieve a louder mix, just better clairty. In fact I kept A-Bing it with or without just to make sure I wasn't making it crappier. Also I made sure the volumes matched with or with out the processing to make sure I wasn't being tricked by the volume increase.

I was inspired by these two videos and I ended up digging the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG__UKPfrgA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1NYFR_yzm4

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:34 pm

If the low end was the only sortof "radically" different band (4db instead of 2) maybe a stereo compressor with a graphic eq feeding the sidechain would get you 90% of what you're after. Have you ever tried that? It's worth a shot. I don't think the quality of the eq matters that much, especially for the experimental phase.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:13 pm

I have not tried that. I'll give it a shot as a few people suggested it. Why not, right? That said I have been happy with a broadband comp on my mixbuss for awhile, just got excited about the multiband results.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:36 pm

when I think of a multi band comp I think of trying to fix a really messed up mix. I can't imagine using one on something that I'd done myself. I've been reading this thread and thinking have I ever? Would I ever?
So far in quite a few years the need has not arisen!

Injured Ear
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Injured Ear » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:41 pm

For a while (Late 90's, Early 00s?) I assisted a lot of engineers strapping a Finalizer across the mix buss 3/4 of the way into a mix, much like they would use the SSL Quad compressor.

It was the Aphex Exciter of the oughts.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:19 pm

greg wells mentions using the LinMB a bit on this vid too - interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58GGyevXUE (2:46 ish)
the new rules : there are no rules

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:20 pm

I think I may be leaning towards a DBX Quantum. I've seen a few used well within my budget.

Mo-Tech
studio intern

Post by Mo-Tech » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 am

Never heard a good sounding Finalizer or Quantum. If you look for warm and rich sonics without clear digital sterility I'd avoid those like plaque.

At this price range Focusrite Platinum Mixmaster is your answer. Top notch optical compression unit, really among the best if not the best MBC for the price IMHO. It's way more musical than any digital MBC I've heard, probably because it's analog circuitry and it let's some transiet peaks pass as I've observed the meters in post, goes down to mastering grade 1.3:1 ratio, tops out 1:5 so it's not a hard-edge compressor which another part of the reason it being so musical. Also you get superb expander and EQ. The only downside is that it's Limiter sucks big time though (avoid!). Thus it's an excellent choice if you print on tape. If printing digital, then you probably need a better limiter afterward in the chain.

I recently modified my Mixmaster with re-cap mod, in all audio path I used my favourite Elna Silmic II audiophile caps. Needed lots of work and run-in time, but boy the improvement got audible in the end - big improvement. The original Mixmaster is quite "forward" sounding which I quite liked in most cases, but found it sonically limiting in other situations. After the cap mod it's now more "depth" and "3D" in it's sound signature, richer bass, silkier mids, clearer highs - it definitely got even more musical. Definitely recommended for all Mixmaster owners - the circuitry design is superb, just the low cost original components need some upgrade to rise this product to another sonical level IMO.

Just me 2c.