Moving Reason 8.3 soundbanks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Moving Reason 8.3 soundbanks

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Has anyone sorted out how to relocate Reason 8.3 soundbanks to another location? I had my soundbanks on my external samples drives with aliases in the Reason application folder pointing to them. This worked in v8.2 and 8.1. With the new update to 8.3 the default install location is now in Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks instead of inside the application folder.

In any case, creating aliases and moving the soundbanks from this location isn't working. Every time I launch Reason it doesn't see the soundbanks and asks to download them.

Help?

https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... eason-8-3/
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:29 am

Hmm that's weird. Did you try creating new aliases, just for fun?

I don't remember, does it not boot without the sound banks, or just not have the factory sounds?

if it still boots maybe within the browser window just make a new shortcut pointing to the external drive or the appropriate sample folders?

I'd send a support request to Props though...I've always found them to be responsive. However, I'm still on 7, so I can't test myself.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:58 am

I did try creating new aliases. I made aliases for the sound banks directly and then for the sub-folder each of them is in, and then for the entire "soundbanks" folder and had no joy. I seem to recall this behaving a bit weird when I first moved the banks to an external drive on version 7. I did come up with one other thing to try when I get in this morning. If I sort it I'll report back.

I don't recall what the software did prior to 8.3, but in 8.3 it will not launch without the soundbanks. It pops up a window saying that it needs to downloading missing content and you have the option of downloading it or quitting.
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios