Most preferred headphones for mixing/mastering?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AKG or Sennheiser or Other (headphones for mixing/mastering)?

AKG
25%
Sennheiser
No votes
Other
75%

Total votes: 8

SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

Most preferred headphones for mixing/mastering?

Post by SpencerMartin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

First of all - I apologize. This topic has been beaten to death. But...

I'm looking into options for high end headphones that would primarily be used for mixing and some mastering (in addition to monitors, of course). A second primary source that I can trust my instincts with and simply aim to make things sound good without too much second guessing. I don't want to be boosting or cutting the lows unneccesarily because the representation is either thin or boomy, or adding or taming highs that are represented as either dull or bright-ish. I want to mix with the approach of, "Yes. This sounds bad ass," and know for certain that it actually does.

Full rather than muddy/boomy and smooth rather than bright/peaky is the goal.

So far I'm leaning towards AKG K702/K701/Q701, or Sennheiser HD650. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on them for A/B'ing. Thoughts? What's the most preferred make/model by my fellow diehard production nerds?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:21 pm

I feel like I can get a real good mix going on my Ultrasone HFS something rathers... Compared to other Sennheisers/AKGs I've used they are rather more "full" and "clear" whereas I've found Sennheisers to be boomy and dull, and AKGs a bit thin and bright. Not that I'd call the Ultrasones perfectly flat, but I treat them like a microscope, great at picking up on details and coupled with other monitors. And I use a Subpac for even more low end.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:34 pm

FWIW, I use the bog-standard 7506's.

Not to say they are the best or anything, but I'm happy with 'em, feeling that like with monitors, it's as much about learning 'em as anything.

Azza aside, about that famous issue of the earpads peeling? Wear 'em for 15 years like I have and alla that stops. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:31 pm

I've always loved the Audio-Technica ATH M-50.
I always go for closed-back cans, dunno why.

I think choice of headphones doesn't really matter that much as long as they:
-Cover the full frequency range (or close to it)
-Have somewhat flat freq. response
-Are super comfy (very very important)
-Have good isolation (not as much of an issue if they are only for mixing)

Beyond that, little perks like detachable cable, replaceable earpads, warranty, etc. are always good.

I say pick a pair you like and stick with them, most importantly listen to all your favorite music on them, even your own recordings! I find that headphones are most useful for checking stereo image and bass content.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:10 am

Fostex T-20RP / T-50RP are the only cans I trust.They just sound right to me. Though I can't honestly recommend them to other people. I've also got the original Stax in-ears for a second opinion, and Beyerdynamics for casual listening.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:29 am

I only use headphones to hear what the mixes will sound like on them, but never to actually mix with them.

I own:

Sony MDR7506, MDR7509HD, MDR EX51, Creative earbuds (no idea what model, but they were 50 bucks), and several generations of iPod and iPhone earbuds.

Usually I'll listen twice all the way through each set, and have a notepad and pencil in hand, taking notes on frequencies that poke out or distort, and frequencies which seem too buried. Once I've gone through all of them, I also go to the car with a CD I burned and do the same, twice all the way through, and take notes.

Then, if anything is a problem across all of this, I go and fix it. Otherwise I leave the mix alone and keep going on my usual monitoring speakers, a pair of JBL LSR4328P, and a set of JBL LSR305, and one auratone 3" mono speaker.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:22 am

I broke down and got a demo pair of the Oppo Planar PM-2 headphones when Music Direct had a 20% off sale, so the price was sweet. Here's an Oppo link to the phones:

http://oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-2/

I had used Oppo disc players for years and had a lot of respect for the company.

I've had to mix on them a couple of times because it was late at night, and I was surprised to find how well the mixes sounded on speakers afterwards. You can hear every little detail on these electrostatic headphones, and they feel built like a Rolls Royce. I've never experienced headphones that were as accurate as these ones. I would recommend them highly.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:14 am

Sony V6 since the 1980's. To know them is to know them.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:19 pm

Sony v600 since mid 80's. Don't love or hate them. .. just used to them, but never make critical eq decisions on them anyway, ..more for listening down, check fades, quality control etc.

Want to check out the Grado line and some Sennheisers.

7506 and v6 are a bit too bright for me, but I used to love giving them to drummers, because they get wicked loud and will fry their ears before they blow themselves.

About a year ago these (below) rated good by Consumer reports for studio/home phones.. but who know what criteria they were judged by...

Grado SR325e (91)
Grado SR225e (88)
B&W P7 (86)
Grado SR80e (86)
Shure SRH1440 (81)
Grado SR125e (80)
Grado SR60e (76)
ATH-M50 (71)
NAD HP50 (71)
Sennheiser Momentum (71)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:16 am

the second to cheapest Grados are adequate for a mixing and mastering reference

not the most comfortable and like any speaker (and Grados are like little speakers attached to your ears) you have to learn them

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:13 am

Most headphones just sound fake to me. I really like my AKG 701s. I've found the cord to be a little fragile though. Maybe i should go for the 702s?

I've always wanted to try the high end Sennheisers or a nice pair of electrostatic cans..

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:56 pm

tjcasey1 wrote:http://oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-2/

You can hear every little detail on these electrostatic headphones
Their marketing copy says "planar magnetic" but are these actually electrostatic headphones? Easiest way to tell is if they come with a separate voltage amplifier?

SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SpencerMartin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm beginning to think that asking about favorite headphones is much like asking about favorite bands? The best approach is probably to get my hands on a few different options and actually listen!

My ATH-M50s will suffice in the meantime, although I just don't like how hyped they sound.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:47 pm

I have a lot of different headphones but I mainly stick to Equation RP-21s for mixing. They are comfortable and seem to have a fairly flat response. I also have Sennheisers and AKGs but I like these better overall.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:58 pm

SpencerMartin wrote:I'm beginning to think that asking about favorite headphones is much like asking about favorite bands? The best approach is probably to get my hands on a few different options and actually listen!

My ATH-M50s will suffice in the meantime, although I just don't like how hyped they sound.
I do believe that headphones really are all about personal preference, like you said, it's like asking about favorite bands. Having said that, i really didn't care for the ATH-M50s at all and wound up giving them away after i got my AKGs.

Someone else mentioned the Suprelux cans, I have a pair of 681s that are really decent for the $28.00 they cost. The Grados sound great as well, I just find them extremely uncomfortable, even cheap Sennheisers can also sound really decent.

Sorry, just to add my two cents more... :oops: