Preamp into preamp into power amp help!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

seanthomas46
audio school

Preamp into preamp into power amp help!

Post by seanthomas46 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:52 am

My Digitech GFX1 twin tube just came in (damaged after a month long wait though; it still works but I don't know for how long cause I can hear loose pieces knocking around inside, will check later :evil: thanks again USPS)!!

To the point > I want to run my rocktron chameleon 2000 into my gfx 1 into my velocity power amp. What's the best and safest way to do so?

My guess is: run the cham2000 mono out into a mixer. From the mixer, mono out into the gfx1. From the gfx1, stereo out into the velocity. Is this right? I can't imagine this makes sense since I've seen people with massive racks with a bunch of different effects pres seemingly in-line. And, if I wanted to pickup another pre, which I will, with my current logic I'd need another mixer? I'm erring on the safe side cause I know I'm going to end up cranking gain in both pres, so the stacking feedback worries me.

Is it safe to just treat these as effects pedals and run them in-line, 2000 mono out into the gfx1 input, skipping the mixer? Btw, the gfx1 has a send/return effects loop.

And actually, I have a tubescreamer in line first, so it'll go: guitar > ts > cham2000 > gfx1 > velocity

Please help, I'm extremely anxious to run the 2000 gain into gfx1 saturation! thanks ahead.
Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.

? Nikola Tesla
?A Machine to End War *? (Liberty, February, 1935)

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:10 pm

It'll definitely work to plug them one into another without the mixer...unless it doesn't. ;)

Either way, as long as nothing is severely wrong with the preamp, it's not going to hurt anything (or anybody), and the only way to know for sure whether it will do what you want is to plug it in and find out. Turn some knobs and see what happens.

seanthomas46
audio school

Post by seanthomas46 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:35 pm

I guess I couldn't damage the gfx anymore than it already is, but the 2000 I can't lose...I ask because gain level frequencies from each vary drastically. In the long run, the tubes are going to fry, causing other things to fry up for wanting to handle dipping and spiking resistances.

; anyway, the gfx gain is arguably better, but it's the sort of generic tube gain that everybody uses to me. ala ada mp1 or mesa/engl pres (seriously, imwo) :shock: will give it a go and report back with reads just in case some pre-stacker out there cares to know.
Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.

? Nikola Tesla
?A Machine to End War *? (Liberty, February, 1935)