Going Mobile w/Pro Tools 9, Macbook 2.2 Intel Core i7 10.7.5

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:22 am

My PC interfaced remote recording experiences have been bad. You really don't need problems when the band is ready to play. You don't get second chances.

Reliability is key, a messed up laptop recording is useless.

I use a Alesis HD24XR with a stack of preamps and a small 16x4x2x24 Soundcraft Delta console, easy, never a hiccup and 100% reliable.

Results are first rate, regardless of the style of music.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:42 am

Jim Williams wrote:My PC interfaced remote recording experiences have been bad. You really don't need problems when the band is ready to play. You don't get second chances.

Reliability is key, a messed up laptop recording is useless.

I use a Alesis HD24XR with a stack of preamps and a small 16x4x2x24 Soundcraft Delta console, easy, never a hiccup and 100% reliable.

Results are first rate, regardless of the style of music.
I still use my HD24XR as such, only I simultaneously record to my computer via the ADAT out into a Lightbridge, and use the computer for monitoring. The only problem is I wish my rig was smaller and lighter...

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:22 am

Considering I used to use 24 track 500 lb tape machines my location rig is very easy to transport and use now days. I can skip the high end mic pre racks and just use the modified soundcraft console, I can carry that in myself as it's pretty small and lightweight.

Mic stands, a few DI's, great mics, cans and a couple of bar stools and I'm ready to go. It's never been so easy or fun. Press record, relax and have a drink.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades