Fav budget comps for synths?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Fav budget comps for synths?

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:25 pm

What do you guys like to use for mixing synths, particularly digital ones? I'm having trouble fitting a k5000s into a mix with analog drums and whatnot - it just kind of gets overwhelmed. Currently recording 100% digitally so perhaps a color compressor could help.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Depends on the type of sound and arrangement more than the actual model of the synth....I generally reach for Waves C4 (I know, not the answer you're looking for) and aggressively pull out what isn't necessary and maybe bring up the "good stuff." That's assuming I'm working the synth into an already dense mix. In slimmer sections I might automate the bands so that I can add weight back into the synth when it's actually going to be heard by itself. I also extensively will probably side chain the synth against the drums and/or the vocals, so that the synth ducks into the background when it's not needed as well.

Again though, all depends on the sound and arrangements.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Meek C2 and MC2 have worked well for me, altho' I typically go for piano and organ sounds from my Yamaha S03.

I usually use a ART TPS as it's a simple to use stereo pre (assuming DI), and I always band-pass during mixdown.

If I amp the synth, I usually use anything I would onna guitar or vocal.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:21 pm

For synth sounds I will often add some distortion in parallel to the original. There are a bunch of plugins that will do this, even a guitar amp modeler plugin can work really well. Bring that up underneath the clean signal to taste. That often sounds better to my ear than compression.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 pm

if you're certain you don't want the timbre of the synth to be changed is compression really going to be the thing that makes it stand out? is there that much dynamics in the part? Would it not just be essentially raising the fader?

Changing the timbre of the synth would be one of the most effective ways to fit it in.

adding volume and or distortion might get you there..maybe not..

you could try changing the timbre and cutting out the sound from the other instruments that are making it not as prominent as you would like..

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:12 pm

When a synth is competing for space in a dense mix, usually I filter out a LOT of it's bottom end, UNLESS it IS the bottom end.

Also, gently tucking a few dB from the vocal range helps.

But compressing it? Only if the synth is popping all over the place in levels, which most don't.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:06 pm

airy pad or punchy arpeggio? searing mono synth leads? squelchy? subtle?

hard to help without knowing more...

a compressor might help some types of synths but they tent to be based on samples and often already pretty processed...

might be more of a textural thing than a dynamics issue...
the new rules : there are no rules

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:36 pm

joninc wrote:airy pad or punchy arpeggio? searing mono synth leads? squelchy? subtle?

hard to help without knowing more...
Fair enough. More info- it's being used for pads and fx sounds. The K5000s is not sample based- it's an additive synth. It has a detailed sound with a lot of dynamic range and movement but with sort of a metallic, very digital tone that is somewhat lacking in presence in the way that a korg wavestation or other 90's digital synth can lack it. I'm trying to make the detail more audible in a busy mix and give it some more presence. Seems to me that limiting the dynamic range could help, plus some outboard color could make it sound more organic. But i sense some skepticism of that idea...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 am

With that description, me, I'd amp it.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:43 am

tape echo works wonders if you have access to one

since it is dynamic yea by all means try a comp

something that can add harmonic distortions like a distressor or over-driven tube piece might work for you..

a little bit of everything mentioned..

even a very tight delay could be the thing, SPL transient designer, etc.

anything that enhances presence is a candidate..

but nothing makes things "fit" like altering the timbre correctly for the part..