fads

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:15 am

Fads, by their very nature, are inherently fickle. But I've noticed that one thing which definitely drives a fad is how undervalued the equipment in question is. There's TONS of gear out there that I love to death at my price point, which became utterly unappealing (if I didn't already own it) once everyone else went crazy over it & prices soared.

This doesn't further the conversation at all, does it.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:37 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I dunno, I've still got some CAD E100 mics and still love them for certain things.
Yep. I've got 4 of them, but two have recently died. Even with new rechargeable batts in them.. nothing.

Also
Symetrix 501 (toggle switch) still using often
Effectrons, two of them, use them all the time
DOD spring reverb, gritty, noisy, awesome.
SPX90, slowly dying, but still gets used if its behaving for long enough
PM1k's, finally got a few of them in a rack
EXH tube pre, still use it
TOMB Ribbon Mic/Group Buy, still using two of them, both modded by different people.
All of my Oktava mics, modded.

I couldn't get much money for some of those things like i may have back when they were fads.. but they still get used a lot so I'll try to keep them around. I'm having a major studio change up, moving to a new place which will only be temporary? an won't be tracking full rock bands at my personal studio while it lives in the temporary location? so I may end up selling things off.. Who knows? I do know though, that I'll be still involved with recording music in some way.. even if its just my personal stuff mostly until I can get things moving/happening in the new city.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:38 pm

trodden wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:I dunno, I've still got some CAD E100 mics and still love them for certain things.
Yep. I've got 4 of them, but two have recently died. Even with new rechargeable batts in them.. nothing.
I'd be interested in taking a look at the dead ones. Somebody has to be the E100 guru around here.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
trodden wrote:
I'd be interested in taking a look at the dead ones. Somebody has to be the E100 guru around here.

I have some other non-working mics that need looking at...can I send a couple your way?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:14 am

Le poste duble.
Last edited by vvv on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:14 am

How do mic's become "not working"?

I mean, seriously, other than ones I've been scammed on from the Ebog, mebbe I'm just lucky, I've never had one become non-working.

Izzit mostly because they got dropped, or exposed to beer*, or what?

*Too much beer and none of us work well. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:34 am

I think part of what's occurred is the cheap-ish audio gear field has become very crowded of late. Joemeek and FMR didn't have tons of competition. Now there's everything from kit 500 compressors (of which there were zero in the old FMR days) to inexpensive prebuilt SSL & 1176 clones. Choices abound in Chinese Mic Land (it wasn't that many years ago that the first Chinese ribbon was introduced, and now they're everywhere), unlike the old days when there was barely a handful of players in the field. And look at all the new analog monosynths--powerful, plentiful and cheap.

I think some of the old favorites got crowded out/overtaken/underpriced.

vvv asks how a mic stops working. In the case of an E100 (scodiddly undoubtedly knows more about this than I do), I might suspect the electret capsule. Electrets are known to degrade over time. With dynamics, the tiny little wires inside (and just outside) the diaphragm can break. Just to name a couple of potential problems.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:53 am

I try not to buy electrets (KSM27, not 32; the only AT30 series I have is the tube mic, etc.) because I am aware they supposedly fail sooner than externally biased; that said, I thought they were supposed to be good for like 40 years.

Are they just more fragile?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:54 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
trodden wrote:
That would be great! I'm in the middle of the last couple sessions before having to move myself and my studio to a different city and I'm selling off some gear so I'll be making some trips to the PO.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:55 pm

vvv wrote:How do mic's become "not working"?

I mean, seriously, other than ones I've been scammed on from the Ebog, mebbe I'm just lucky, I've never had one become non-working.

Izzit mostly because they got dropped, or exposed to beer*, or what?

*Too much beer and none of us work well. :twisted:
Fuck if I know, it could be many things... Dropped, hit, oxidation, component failure, phantom power failure...

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:58 pm

Presonus MP20.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:05 pm

So, ...

... we shouldn't never use a electret with the Presonus MP20, izzat it? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:38 pm

JGriffin wrote:
I have some other non-working mics that need looking at...can I send a couple your way?
Apologies - way too busy to look at random mics for people. I'm interested in seeing a dead E100 or two because I have five of my own to keep running.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
JGriffin wrote:
Apologies - way too busy to look at random mics for people. I'm interested in seeing a dead E100 or two because I have five of my own to keep running.
Totally understandable.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:21 am

SM57 clones - remember when there were those US$30 ones everyone spoke of?

Microphone modifications - from removing screens to changing caps to re-buildiing Chinee condensors, it's now a industry of sorts.

Alesis micro-limiter - T. Blake and the guy what produced Interpol, among others, kinda made 'em a fad.

Mackie 8-buss - yes, I am that old.

TC Finalizer.

Mini-discs, ADAT's (what ended when technology changed) and now, to some extent, multitrack cassette recorders like the Porta-One; those are like the vinyl records of recording.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.