fads

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:32 am

Counterfeit Umbrella

Some noteworthy Tape Op Fad/trend video appearance items here circa 2007:
Symetrix 501, Hamptone pre, Moviola toaster amp, Deltalabs effectron (supertimeline here), TapeOp ribbon mic..

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:36 am

I?d had one of these in the late 80?s bought new flush with cash after a summer on an oil tanker.
Around 2006 I wanted to dub my tapes and get back into a 388.
There was info on it scattered all over the web, and because the Tape Op forum allows editing of posts long after the initial posting (yeah!)
I compiled everything useful I could find on it and added it to The Tascam 388 thread started by Curtis Wyant.
While I certainly am not responsible for the ascent in popularity of the Tascam 388,
The now massive dedicated comprehensive thread on Tape Op for information to accompany the manual has certainly became a popular place to visit.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:11 am

shedshrine wrote:Counterfeit Umbrella
As so very 8) as I remember it!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:26 pm

It's a great resource, probably one of the best.

If I was a less busy person, I would take your compilation and format it for printing, and make a few nice looking books for the post apocalypse...after the nuclear global warming zombie terrorists have destroyed the Internet we can still fix and hot rod our cheesy 80s multi tracks.

I have a disgusting love for the Trashcan machines, with (3) 388s and (1) 688 at the moment...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:32 pm

kslight wrote:It's a great resource, probably one of the best.

If I was a less busy person, I would take your compilation and format it for printing, and make a few nice looking books for the post apocalypse..
In Chrome, right click - print - change - save - as PDF ...

I mean mebbe not you, or as nice as you'd like, but it'll work quick and easy and free.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:33 pm

vvv wrote:
kslight wrote:It's a great resource, probably one of the best.

If I was a less busy person, I would take your compilation and format it for printing, and make a few nice looking books for the post apocalypse..
In Chrome, right click - print - change - save - as PDF ...

I mean mebbe not you, or as nice as you'd like, but it'll work quick and easy and free.
Yeah there's that but I meant to make something that was real nice and pro because I work in printing.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:43 pm

*Just an idea?

Say, how about everyone so inclined chooses an inspiring (to themselves and presumably others) piece of gear, does the homework/research and compiles a ?definitive? thread on it.
Anecdotes on usage, why it is special etc. and if cumulatively they prove worthy,
we approach Tape Op aka Sir Larry Crane with the notion of possibly publishing the results.
As I?m typing this I flash on the issues of ownership, copyright, intellectual property and public use.
I have no idea how that would work.
Well, in any case, while that is being bandied about the comprehensive individual gear thread idea would still work. It?s fun, it?s giving back, it?s something to do. Haha.

*and we use Kslight as the publisher. :)

P.S- you are up to three of them at this point K? sheesh..

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:33 pm

vvv wrote:Do you have a link to that cool vid he did where he goes from instrument to instrument? I think he was using a red-button Sony or Phillips mic to sing into, also ...
The Counterfeit Umbrella single?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoZQG57PodA

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:10 pm

shedshrine wrote:*Just an idea?

Say, how about everyone so inclined chooses an inspiring (to themselves and presumably others) piece of gear, does the homework/research and compiles a ?definitive? thread on it.
Anecdotes on usage, why it is special etc. and if cumulatively they prove worthy,
we approach Tape Op aka Sir Larry Crane with the notion of possibly publishing the results.
As I?m typing this I flash on the issues of ownership, copyright, intellectual property and public use.
I have no idea how that would work.
Well, in any case, while that is being bandied about the comprehensive individual gear thread idea would still work. It?s fun, it?s giving back, it?s something to do. Haha.

*and we use Kslight as the publisher. :)

P.S- you are up to three of them at this point K? sheesh..

I meant the whole thing as a help for folks that don't have access to nice printers or binding, and do a little graphic design to make it work out nice...not as something to even probably print a dozen of, or profit from.

But my schedule is tied up so I wouldn't have time for now, just an idea I had.

As far as three goes..it sounds silly...but I have one 200 miles away so I don't have to travel with it, I have one "main" that was my first, and the second one I actually bought as spare parts, but when I got home with it it worked great, though cosmetically its kind of crap. I originally wanted it as parts for the other two!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:18 pm

I remember years ago, when somebody posted on here that there was a 388 down at one of the Goodwill's in Portland for $150 or something. Happened to be when I was out of town, so I called my friend and told him to get his ass down there and buy it for me, or at least for himself.

He didn't bother. The lazy fuck.

I hope somebody on here got it. And then secondarily, I hope that it worked.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:30 pm

honkyjonk wrote:I remember years ago, when somebody posted on here that there was a 388 down at one of the Goodwill's in Portland for $150 or something. Happened to be when I was out of town, so I called my friend and told him to get his ass down there and buy it for me, or at least for himself.

Friends are suck!

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:42 pm

I think I remember that post. On the other hand, I got my 388 b/c someone on here posted a heads up about it being on craigslist.
Village Idiot.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:47 pm

honkyjonk wrote:I remember years ago, when somebody posted on here that there was a 388 down at one of the Goodwill's in Portland for $150 or something. Happened to be when I was out of town, so I called my friend and told him to get his ass down there and buy it for me, or at least for himself.

There was one for $150 on my CL about an hour away right after I bought my first one that I wanted, but "untested" and...well an hour away...and I didn't have money so I decided to let it go...