The Best Multi-track Cassette Tape Recorder?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:41 am

The Tascam 488mkII is the first, and only, multitrack tape machine I owned, so I don't have point of comparison, and my opinion is also tinted with nostalgia, but I love that machine. You can make is sound really good or really bad (but still good).
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 am

Pelsmatic wrote: I would like to make a record with an SM57 and some ingenuity :)
Probably like many here, I did this back in the day when those were practically the only tools in reach of the home recordist/starving musician. To this day, it's some of the best music I've ever recorded.

At that time, the Tascam 246 was still available new at GC for $1200. All I could scrape together was $900, so I bought one near-mint on CL from a guy who was a mailman. I ran the only mic I owned, an SM57, through a Realistic XLR/1/4" adapter straight into the 246. Most tracks had a TR-505 drum machine, DI'd bass, acoustic and electric guitars, tambourine, some keys from a borrowed Casio, and several vocal tracks. With strategic planning and careful ping-ponging, some tunes had as many as twelve tracks.

Just sharing to inspire you. Never mind Pro-Tools--long live Amateur Tools!