Moderators: drumsound, tomb

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

A Blog Post Of Mine About Compression - Very Educational

Post by casey campbell » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:09 pm

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:02 pm

FWIW, I'm not trying to be mean or put anyone down, though it probably will look that way?that's not my goal. IMHO:

Satire is cool and all, but it would be misleading to suggest there is anything educational that a (presumedly) new engineer could glean from this article. Everything seemed to lead up to a point where I thought maybe it'd get past the satire and get to the argument, the solution, some samples of applied technique, and conclusion?but instead I jump into the comments section.

Example:

So, you want people to not use compression. Does that mean, not at all? Or is it sometimes okay? Etc?

You want me to use the volume control? Great?okay?I've located my walkman. Now?am I supposed to ride this thing up and down during the quiet/loud parts of the power ballad I rock out to at the gym? What if I can't hear the vocals because the singer kind of falls behind everything else every once in awhile?? Oh shit, that next song is making my ears bleed! That's kind of annoying, maybe I should just put Foo Fighters on.

IOW, if your goal is to make this educational, then you should probably look at adding some non-satirical elements and build a real argument/body/solution. As is, it doesn't really support your $9.95/yr training program effectively.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:54 pm

it's satire. the education is beyond the surface.

much love.