Save Often!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Save Often!

Post by vvv » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:20 am

Working on a drum 2-mix, 1.5 hours, daughter turned on vacuum cleaner and power, despite a UPC, dipped - computer shit the bed and I lost the track. :evil:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:09 pm

Don't know what you use, but I set Pro Tools to autosave every 5 minutes...highly recommended. I don't go into that session backup folder often, but I'm always happy it's there when I need it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 pm

I use CEP 2.1 and it auto-saves,also, but I did a mixdown and didn't ever save that, just started editing, so there was nothing to auto-save. :oops:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Injured Ear
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Injured Ear » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:57 am

kslight wrote:Don't know what you use, but I set Pro Tools to autosave every 5 minutes...highly recommended. I don't go into that session backup folder often, but I'm always happy it's there when I need it.
The best part is when you have to refer to an earlier version and you can't tell what you've been doing for the last 20 minutes because it sounds exactly the same!

-at least that happens to me occasionally

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Re: Save Often!

Post by Waltz Mastering » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:23 am

vvv wrote:Working on a drum 2-mix, 1.5 hours, daughter turned on vacuum cleaner and power, despite a UPC, dipped - computer shit the bed and I lost the track. :evil:
That seems like a pretty severe voltage swing, considering you had a
uninterruptible power supply. Most will have a voltage regulator built in..

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:45 pm

FWIW, weird shite is happening with this, my music computer.

It won't burn CDR's thru a USB drive, what would seem to be a memory prob as I'm getting CRC errors.

I'm bummed - the pooter is only about 8 years old, running my last fave OS (XP Pro) with my fave DAW (Cool Edit Pro 2.1).

I don't wanna grow up! :evil:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:52 pm

Injured Ear wrote:
kslight wrote:Don't know what you use, but I set Pro Tools to autosave every 5 minutes...highly recommended. I don't go into that session backup folder often, but I'm always happy it's there when I need it.
The best part is when you have to refer to an earlier version and you can't tell what you've been doing for the last 20 minutes because it sounds exactly the same!

Still better than having nothing at all, or too old of a backup...I always say.

Catfish
gettin' sounds

Post by Catfish » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:03 pm

Injured Ear wrote:

I know exactly what you mean...

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:09 am

My buddy keeps telling me to hit "save" every time he does something. I wish I could remember to do that when he's not around.....

I am amazed at myself, though, when a crash loses the last twenty minutes of stuff I was tweaking - I'm getting pretty good at re-opening the project and re-doing each tweak from memory. I guess my brain cells aren't all quite dead yet!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:49 am

Yaeh, it crashed when I was working on the drum submix.

It took me about 15 minutes to re-do the whole thing; I had the CEP2.1 session saved for the basic set-up for the two-mix, so all the levels and shite were saved, I just hadda print then edit the two-mix and I remembered what I did and why for the arrangement, etc.

I was sooooo happy it wasn't onna full mix!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:15 am

I started working on DAWs back in 1993, when we'd try to get 24 tracks out of a mac Quadra 950. Crashes were a pretty frequent thing, so I got into the habit of hitting "Save" after every two or three operations. It's pretty much automatic these days though I probably don't do it quite that frequently. It's such an ingrained habit that sometimes I accidentally find myself trying to save a website.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/