budget nearfield monitor recommendations...opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

budget nearfield monitor recommendations...opinions?

Post by tomhampton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:31 am

Hi, folks...in scouring CL in my area, there's a bunch of stuff to choose from lately, and after selling off a bunch of gear during a financial crisis a while back, i'm needing a new set of powered monitors.

if it were you, and you had to choose between one of these options - which one would you go with?

Yamaha HS50M

JBL LSR305

Event BAS 20/20

Tannoy PBM65

JBL LSR308

KRK Rockit 5

Audix 1A

I've been clicking about the 'net doing a little research, but i wanted to see if you guys had any real-world props or warnings to share. thanks!
http://www.tomhampton.com

guitar, lap and pedal steel, mandolin, dobro, banjo, other various oddities and harmony slut

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:46 am

I absolutely love my Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's; I been using 'em since new from about 1988 or so, nary a issue and with, I think, good results. (Everything linked below was mixed on 'em.)

I know there's a famous mixer or two who carry 'em around to mix on, if "cred" is of use.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:13 am

I can't comment on most of them, but I have the Event 20/20 BAS and the KRK Rokit 5s. The Rokit's are great for what they are and the cost, but the 20/20s are a much better speaker.

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

Post by tomhampton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:23 pm

Thanks, guys - a few other folks have recommended the PBM's pretty highly too. I appreciate the input.
http://www.tomhampton.com

guitar, lap and pedal steel, mandolin, dobro, banjo, other various oddities and harmony slut

SpencerMartin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by SpencerMartin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:22 am

Consider looking into Alesis M1 Active MK2. I won't name anyone, but they were recommended to me by a pretty accomplished producer who had received the recommendation himself from a really accomplished producer.

I've used my pair for years - everything on my website (linked below) has been mixed through them. Even after listening to a good number of different nearfields and mains in different studios I have yet to hear something I'd prefer to work on more. They're super inexpensive too. I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading and buying more expensive monitors - I just haven't heard anything that sounds better or "more familiar" to me yet!

That's the irony of it - familiarity trumps specs and price every single time. You can learn any monitor setup like the back of your hand (eardrum?) and get good results.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Double-Post Deleted.

GJ
Last edited by Gregg Juke on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm

>>>>That's the irony of it - familiarity trumps specs and price every single time. You can learn any monitor setup like the back of your hand (eardrum?) and get good results.<<<<

That's really it ^^^^. Pick out something you like the sound of (take a reference CD you're familiar with to the shop), that you can afford, and after you buy them, work them until you really know them.

As for your list, all good companies (save one I'll hi-light below), no dogs that I'm familiar with (again, see below), but I'm partial to Tannoys (had a set for years until I lost a speaker on the right that hasn't been replaced yet), I currently (mostly) mix on a set of JBL bookshelf "Studio Monitors" (that's the model, but they're actually still mid-end home stereo/prosumer)... I use Yamahas live. So I'd probably go with the Tannoys or JBL's (although some people hate the JBL sound; the running gag is "JBL = 'Just Basically Loud'"). What I would completely avoid like the plague are the Rockits. All those that I have heard/seen are geared towards the "Beats by Dre" crowd, and I've also heard of some QC issues and returns to GC, so maybe you can cross those off your list.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:33 pm

I have and love the JBL LSR4328P, and the LSR305s.

Love them.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:35 am

I've been using the Parts Express Dayton Audio B-652-AIR 6 1/2" two way speakers here. They have the AMT ribbon tweeter, amazing. I did add bypass caps to the tweeter in the crossover. Truly hi-fi for less. They are passive so use a good power amp, I use the Adcom GFA535.
Price: $59 per pair.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Gonna have to give those a try, Jim! But how about details on the bypass caps?

jzahos
gettin' sounds

Post by jzahos » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:41 pm

psinglet wrote:I can't comment on most of them, but I have the Event 20/20 BAS and the KRK Rokit 5s. The Rokit's are great for what they are and the cost, but the 20/20s are a much better speaker.
2nd vote for the Event 20/20 BAS's. Very neutral and clean, and $600-700 pair? Cool.
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
www.jeffzahos.com

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Recording Engineer wrote:Gonna have to give those a try, Jim! But how about details on the bypass caps?
Use a .01 uf polystyrene or polyprop film cap, any good brand will do. Use 250 volts or more.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:27 am

BYW, those speakers are on sale today only, just $44.88 a pair!

Get a pair.

www.parts-express.com
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:00 am

Yep, just bought some! Sale ends Thursday! By the way, just parallel to the existing cap... The cap there is fine-enough?

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:01 am

It's a bipolar el cap. I left mine in. You could replace it with a MIT or InfiniCap but that would cost as much as the speakers. The bypass cap lets the transients through.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades