anyone looking for a Panasonic 3700 DAT?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kseward
audio school

anyone looking for a Panasonic 3700 DAT?

Post by kseward » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:23 am

Long time Tape Op reader, first time poster here . . .

Reason I'm posting here is to take the temperature re this model of DAT. I'm a longtime home recordist who got a 3700 new way back when, circa 1993. Used it for my own stuff, etc. but not recently -- wondering if it can find a home nowadays?

Not used nor serviced since I'm guessing '06 or when I finished up a digital transfers of my DAT mixdowns.

I see them on eBay for what seems to be kind of serious money for a old format replaced by computer gizmos. I'm looking not to ship, to find a useful home for it nearby.

So generally asking if anyone looking for one of these?

Thanks.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:57 pm

I would start by putting it in the Buy/Sell/Trade sub forum instead of the discussion forum, and it would be critical to list your location since you are not willing to ship.

Best

kseward
audio school

Post by kseward » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:14 am

Thanks. Definitely, once I understand more.

I know it might look OT to post here & vague the way I'm posting but I'm looking for context here.

I've got no clue if folks even want DAT machines (someone selling them on eBay is no reality check as such, and at least some of those have been checked and serviced).

So I'm here in gear talk looking to learn more before actually posting For Sale.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:49 am

Unfortunately, it's unlikely to work that way. The only way you'll really find out is by posting it for sale.

I can tell you this-- I bought two DAT machines this past year (a portable and a rackmount for the studio) from... Wait for it... The TOMB For Sale forum! So yeah, there might be a few folks out there that could be interested.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

kseward
audio school

Post by kseward » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks again.

Yep, was looking for info before pulling the trigger on selling. Info enough to avoid:

A) being lowball bait
B) setttng the price ridiculously high and scaring off reasonable buyers.

I'm a hoarder not a seller. Number one easiest way for me to get rid of things is to never have them in the first place.

(Still can't talk myself in chucking the old, long ago transfered DATs of mine which *IIRC* are not really reliably playable by now on any machine.)

Have other stuff. I'll post it all on FS Forum when I get my OCD head around letting it go.

Thanks once again to all.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:30 am

>>>>I'm a hoarder not a seller. Number one easiest way for me to get rid of things is to never have them in the first place.<<<<

Dude! I'll bet that's at least 50% of the population in these parts! You nailed me with that one, I know...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:50 pm

kseward wrote:was looking for info before pulling the trigger on selling. Info enough to avoid:

A) being lowball bait
B) setttng the price ridiculously high and scaring off reasonable buyers.
You can see what they're selling for by looking at "Completed Items" on ebay.
The ones with the price in green have sold and generally look like they're going for between $40 to $80,..with a couple over $100

Still have a 3700, 3800 and DA-45 collecting dust

kseward
audio school

Post by kseward » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:18 am

Thanks yet again.

Saw a recent eBay posting up for 3-4 hundred, but not sold yet and seemed as if seller was a tech who given it the going over. Not a "gee, it powers on--guess it's okay" posting. ;-)