Space Echo Tips?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Space Echo Tips?

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:56 pm

I've had a Re201 sitting in my studio for years (on indefinite loan) but with a bad loop, and I finally got inspired to make a new loop for it (after acquiring some NOS blank 8 tracks and a splicing block) and miraculously got it working, I think. I'm not that familiar with how well these are supposed to work.

I get the feeling that on this unit, the erase function may not be so great, I did not take the time to clean it up before use, as I just wanted to see if I could make a decent loop before I got too excited. I made a 1 meter loop (I read somewhere that 4 meters might be better?), and put it on the Effect Send of my Tascam 388?then ran the output of that into another track so I can record the effect into the track?

I do get repeats, but and while they are not terribly long repeats, they seem to come back around for quite a long time (though obviously degrading in quality as they go around). I've fiddled with the controls a bit but like I said above I'm not really sure what I'm "supposed" to get out of this, compared to a regular non-tape delay.

So?any pro tips?

Thanks

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:50 pm

Upon messing with it some more, it seems that the erase function is fine unless I overload the input heavily...

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 pm

I like it on vocals and it's tons of fun to run a stereo guitar rig with one amp dry and the space echo going to the second amp. Sounds huge

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 am

first thing to know (and maybe you do already) is that an RE-201 is an instrument level device. I always got the best response by busting line level down with a Reamp (insert copywrite thingy here) type impedence matcher, then into the echo, then out of the echo into a DI to come back up to line level. This is super important when using one on a mix with a whole buncha tracks hitting the desk. It's a bit of a complicated chain, but important to keep from overloading the input and getting good clear output signal.

I like the delays better than the the ones with 'verb. It's a spring and I found it clouded the echo effect and I had a buncha real 'verbs so I avoided the ones in the 201. Play radically with the "intensity" knob to make the thing regenerate (basically, the thing goes bonkers and seems to take off on its own), and once it does, mess with the "repeat rate" knob to control, or at least tame, the echo. I've always found the most fun in dynamically playing with these two controls while a track plays so I can force it to swell and subside with the music. Or against it. This is pretty easy to learn and once you have it down, you can make some cool sounds.

it's a tape machine, so keep it clean and make sure the tape hits the heads correctly. there are felt wipers/tensioners that need to be working well to make the thing sing. And longer loops do help. I'm 6'-2" and to make a loop I held one end of the tape with my arm straight up over my head and cut the tape where it hit the floor (so maybe 8 feet or so). It will also force you to make good splices, 'cause the bump when a crap one hits the heads can really ruin a good vibe.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:56 am

Ditto Djimbe's notes.

I run mine with a 20 dB pad on the input, and bump the output back up with a mic preamp - usually an API 512C.

I use old 8-tracks for tape. I had poor luck with "blank" 8-track tapes - I think the ones I found were low-bias. I get the cleanest looking (hopefully least-worn) ones form the thrift store. I've been cutting sections out of an old Eddy Arnold tape.

As for length, as long as you can manage to fill it without making a snarled mess. If you have help, you can get 20+ feet.

The repeat intensity also varies with tape speed. The two parameters interact...repeats that self-generate at one speed may not self-generate at another. But very worthwhile to play with the controls.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:13 pm

Thanks.

I am having trouble getting oscillation. Do I need to mess with the knobs constantly or should maximum intensity do it? I also played with the bias knob by the power cord.

The least noisy results I have gotten have been using it on the effect send of my 388, going into the second mic input on the re201. I have its gain just a notch up but no more. I have the effect send on the 388 turned pretty well up on a vocal track. the re201's meter isn't frequently overloading. I then run the output of that into a mic input on my 388 using an xlr adapter, and turn up the gain on the 388 as necessary. I realize this sounds like an obtuse way of doing it, I did try more logical way..but this is the way I get the least noisy operation. I think the 388 has cleaner gain than this re201.

I do get repeats and such this way, just no oscillation.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:30 pm

If you turn the regen all the way up, it should run away at almost any speed.

You say you reloaded it with "blank" 8-track tape?

If your blank tape was like the stuff I tried, it doesn't work very well.

I'd have to check to be sure, but the "blank" 8 tracks I found had a greyish tape inside, while the "plain" prerecorded tapes I've taken apart have more regular orange/brown oxide.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:26 pm

It was not greyish but had that normal brown color I'm used to with other tapes? It was sealed, NOS I got a thrift shop.

Do regular 8 tracks work also, ones that aren't blank?

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:40 pm

yeah, kslight, your gain staging seems a little odd. you tried going into the instrument input from your send, right? that still isn't technically correct, but these things are somewhat forgiving that way. running the output to a mic amp seems wrong too. Can you select that channel as an instrument input? Like a real Fender tube reverb, or many oil can delays, the RE-210 runs best when used just as you would a stop box between your guitar and amp. that means getting the I/O impedence as close to that ideal as you can for maximum grins.

Everyone that 'knows" says you gotta run these with 8 track tape (preferably the kind on re-recordable bulk carts like the radio business used to use) because of some lubrication qualities. And I get it. It was the spec when these were new. Still, I used to run the shit outta my Space Echoes with regular old 456, and never had a problem. Change the loop regular and keep it clean.

I haven't fired mine up in 3 or 4 years. Now I want to. Bet it works just fine. It's a tank. Was bounced around for years in Red Red Meat/Califone tours and abused in the studio and it keeps ticking...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:30 pm

i much prefer using the "from PA" input - that way it's 100% wet.
the new rules : there are no rules

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:45 pm

unless you are playing an instrument thru it.
the new rules : there are no rules