Fuzz Factory 7

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Fuzz Factory 7

Post by blungo2 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm trying hard not start raving insanely about how amazing this pedal is, so i'll give a bit of background first while i calm myself down.

Fuzz is one of my very favorite effects, to be honest i probably wouldn't play guitar all that much without the tonalities that fuzz permits. I've had quite a few fuzz pedals over the years, from original super fuzzes to bee-baas, to pretty much you name it and i've had one. I don't even want to try and count how many fuzzes i've owned. I'm very pared down right now, i think i may have ten or so different fuzzes right now.

If you've gotten this far, it's time for a caveat. In my mind the fuzz factory 7 is most well suited to those who already understand and enjoy the original FF with all it's many quirks. If you're one of those, then i contend that the 7 is a fuzz factory that allows you to fully control it's various tonalities. I'd say it's magnitudes more controllable, still it's a fuzz factory and has a mind of it's own. I really think i could happily live out my days with just the FF7 (although it would be nice to have my watson fy-2 as well).

Anyhow, if you like fuzz factories, i suggest you try a 7. I've come across a few comments that they're more hype than anything, but i strongly disagree with that sentiment. They are pricey, but for me, it was and continues to be a revelation.

I haven't yet heard any online sound samples that i think did it justice. If i get time and can get my playing to be a bit less crappy, i may try and post some sounds, but this is really a pedal you need try for yourself and experiment with a bit. I guess it's not for those that are looking for a certain sound in a can, but those that are willing to tweak and experiment until they find the sound they've dreamed of.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:23 pm

Y'know, IMSFHO, I mean, I have about 12 or more OD & Disto & and Fuzz pedals for the price of a new one of those.

Izzit really that good?

I'm not saying yer wrong or nothin' - but you could mebbe get a nice guitar for that $ - I certainly have, and a buncha times.

I have a few pedals worth mebbe a cuppla hunnert each - they are now a investment that I'll rarely jam with - they stay in the bedio.

I mean, I don't wanna take my Silver Jubilee out ...

I guess, what, I just can't see that cost for a pedal, mebbe why I don't own a real tape delay or a real Klon (check out a Rocktron Austin Gold for that).

(FWIW, an interesting parallel is the Senn 409 vs. the 906, 609 and Superlux clones. That said a Neve izza Neve, and a Nuemann a Nuemann, unless the latter izza Sennheiser, mebbe ...)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Sure. Stuff is only worth what it's worth to you. Can't argue with that.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:19 pm

I should add, current experience is box wine works as well as the more 'spensive stuff. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:37 pm

*slaps the bag*
Village Idiot.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:50 am

Looks like fun for sure. I've owned a few dedicates fuzz pedals but I didn't care for them. Lately I get my fuzz out of an old Double Muff voltage sagged to 4.5v or my Moog pedals hitting each other a certain way.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:45 am

What are you using to drop the voltage?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Truetone One Spot Pro (basically their version of Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Plus)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:23 pm

That looks cool.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:26 pm

I built a bunch of classics instead. Most of these newer boxes are copies in one way or another.

The Fuzz Face isn't used much but the Colorsound "Page" model is. The old Foxx Tone machine does the best octave split. Built a Meyer fuzz, etc.

Best part is I used to own some of those back when I was a kid when the fuzzes were new.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:39 pm

:insert old-age joke here, realize I am 55 and so delete same:
:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:59 pm

I haven't had the pleasure of playing the 7, but i got a Vexter FF for my bday and I totally love it. It's perfect for instant chaos and it's probably the first fuzz aside from a Big Muff that I've ver bonded with.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 am

In most ways the 7 is a like a regular FF, the main difference as i see it, is the addition of the 9 oscillation modes. Each mode changes the basic tonal structure of the fuzz from very high to very low. It's kinda like having 9 fuzz factories all tuned differently. I'm still impressed with mine.

The passive tone control is also a very useful addition. I feel like this is the FF perfected.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:28 am

The 1969 Sola Colorsound 3 knob has a great tone control. It's more like a "tilt" control, less tops, more bass to the left, more tops, less bass towards the right. It's basically a Fuzz Face germanium with an input buffer (predictability) and that tone knob.

Any fuzz can have that tone knob incorporated. It's a pretty simple passive design.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:43 am

The tone control is just icing on the cake, it's the oscillation modes that is the bigger deal.