Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Hooking up a Tascam 388 to a Pioneer SR 202W Spring Reverb

Post by kslight » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:01 pm

illuminations wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 pm
Resurrecting this old thread because I am having the same problem. I want to run this same reverb unit through the effects loop on my 388. I have it set up like above picture. The reverb is all the way up on the 202, and i have the master effect gain, effect rtn gain, and effect channel gain all situated so that I can hear the reverb while recording. But on playback it gets recorded dry. Is there something I’m missing? I’d really like to use the effect loop to run reverb on a couple tracks while printing to tape. But every combination of button pressing and knob twisting still leaves me with a dry track when listening back.
If you want to record the reverb you’ll either have to put it on a track, use it on an insert, or record the 2 track out from the 388 into your master recorder.

illuminations
pluggin' in mics

Post by illuminations » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for the response. Hope you’ll be patient with me. I’m still trying to figure this out since I’ve been using effects a little more lately.

To put it on a track, do you mean to use it individually on a track using the access send/rtn? And to use it as an insert would that be through the pgm bus?

Is there not a way to loop the reverb through the effect send/return and it apply it to multiple tracks during recording? Can it only be applied this way during mixing?

For example, I’d like to record guitar to track 1 and vocals to track 2 at the same time and I would like to apply reverb to both tracks but at different levels during recording. I thought that would be possible through the effect or aux loop, but I guess not?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 am

illuminations wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 pm
Thanks for the response. Hope you’ll be patient with me. I’m still trying to figure this out since I’ve been using effects a little more lately.

To put it on a track, do you mean to use it individually on a track using the access send/rtn? And to use it as an insert would that be through the pgm bus?

Is there not a way to loop the reverb through the effect send/return and it apply it to multiple tracks during recording? Can it only be applied this way during mixing?

For example, I’d like to record guitar to track 1 and vocals to track 2 at the same time and I would like to apply reverb to both tracks but at different levels during recording. I thought that would be possible through the effect or aux loop, but I guess not?
You could use the sends as you already are. Instead of plugging the reverb out into the return, plug it into say track 8 and record.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 am

The effect and aux loops are submixers. You create a mix that then goes through your 'verb, delay, whatever is in the loop. So if you are using the Pioneer as outlined in this thread (aux out to left Pioneer input, right Pioneer output to aux return), things have been mixed before reaching the Pioneer.

A quick look around the web seems to indicate these units have a single reverb tank. So if you use both inputs and both outputs - say, vox into left and guitar into right, then each output will contain its original dry signal plus the mix from the tank.

Either way, you generally wouldn't want this premixed into your basic tracks - turning up the vox track would also turn up the guitar's reverb.
Village Idiot.