AKG c12 capsule

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

AKG c12 capsule

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:08 pm

What's the consensus on the shelf life of these? Are the mics with these brass caps worth their asking prices?

Where else to look for other quality multi pattern ldc mics?
Last edited by Zacharia Matilda on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dehumidified

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:05 am

An original or their current model? And how old if the later? Worth the asking price? It's all perspective, but if you can afford it, then yes!

Where else to look? In today's world, there are a huge bunch of serious contenders to consider everywhere you look!

Still, after using at least a hundred different mics and owning half of them at some point, now days, I'm over lusting after the $5k-$30k originals... A number of boutique companies make damn good mics now; trying to faithfully-copy the originals as much as possible, trying to spin-off of originals, or simply inspired by classics.

So, I'd rather have possibly up to a couple dozen of various great mics for the price of one original classic. And that's just what I'm doing now, buying parts and having about 20 custom tube mics being built.

But can't really go wrong any way you go! Today it's a job just trying to narrow the options!

Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:01 am

Akg isn't making that capsule any more. I'm asking if the limited shelf life of the old brass capsules makes spending 2 grand on a 414 eb a bad idea.
dehumidified

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:58 am

It may be when you can buy a Tim Campbell CK-12 for about $400.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:49 am

Exactly Jim... I have 3 of Tim's CT12s and 2 more on the way... I personally no longer care about owning an original CK12 capsule from a sound-perspective. With that said, if the cost of an original CK12 is like $400 in your budget or mindset, you still will not regret an original; should you buy one in good shape or brought to good shape. Will the one(s) you buy sound better than Tim's CT12s? Well, that ties into your question. Some are in good shape, some in terrible-shape... All depends on the environment(s) it has lived in all its life and it's maintenance.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:25 pm

I am a very big fan of the Peluso P12. sorry of that's OT...
the new rules : there are no rules

Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Not off topic at all. Thanks for the input!

I'm scouting for a multi-pattern ldc. I love the idea of the old c414 with the brass capsule, but the Peluso looks like it might be good alternative. Sony c-48 might be a contender, as well.
dehumidified

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:49 pm

Haven't tried any Peluso mics, definitely one to consider, but in that $2k price-range, for just a bit more you could find a Manley Reference Cardioid on eBay.

I personally like the new Luke Audio mics. You could get one of the Beesneez mics.

You could get more custom with a JJ Audio mic or have someone like Fox Audio mod a mic.

Barbaric Amplification is building all my tube mics... Chris can build anything you want in all sorts of donor bodies for the cost of the major parts plus $400 for his power supply. I can send pics of the the 3 pairs he's made for me thus far... Plus a C12-type for a friend.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:18 am

Just a plug in pro of Peluso microphones.

I have a 22 47 LE (the top end model of that mic) and it is fantastic.

I am considering getting another one of those, plus a Stereo pair of his P12s.

They seem hard to get used (the P12s), which means whomever owns them loves them.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.