Convertors: Focusrite vs Behringer. No, really.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Convertors: Focusrite vs Behringer. No, really.

Post by standup » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:38 am

For almost 10 years I've been using a Focusrite ISA428 4-channel mic pre as a cornerstone of my setup. It has the digital converter card running 8 channels to my interface via ADAT.

IT looks like the card is dying, I think. When I turn the pre on EVERY LIGHT on the face of the Focusrite lights up and stays on. After 5-10 minutes it goes to the normal state, but as soon as that happens the ADAT inputs of my interface show full scale massive digital hash.

I've rerouted things to the analog line ins on the MOTU 1248 interface I'm using, and I may pull the unit out of the rack and pull the ADC card.

I've got a service email started with Focusrite, and I want to send the card to them for repair.

But if they're going to charge more than $100, I'd be tempted to get the 8 channel Behringer converter and just use that. It gets decent reviews.

Is that crazy? Lame?
Last edited by standup on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:12 pm

I've never not regretted buying Behringer. YMMV.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm kind of confused.

Are you sure the Motu is the problem, not the Focusrite?

I'm sure you have set all your clock settings appropriately? I would probably make the Motu master, if you haven't already..

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I suspect the ADC card in the Focusrite has gone south. The MOTU interface is behaving correctly. The MOTU interface was getting clock over ADAT in the past, and that worked for me for years.

Now that I'm running everything into the MOTU through analog inputs cuz ADAT is now useless, the MOTU unit is running off internal clock.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:43 pm

standup wrote:Sorry if that wasn't clear. I suspect the ADC card in the Focusrite has gone south. The MOTU interface is behaving correctly. The MOTU interface was getting clock over ADAT in the past, and that worked for me for years.

Now that I'm running everything into the MOTU through analog inputs cuz ADAT is now useless, the MOTU unit is running off internal clock.
I guess I was unclear because you said you sent a service email to Motu?

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:26 pm

Fixed that😁

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:15 pm

I would just say to use the Motu interface,
their converters are just fine.

Unless you need more inputs...

Cheers

Ps did you try using different optical cables?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:35 pm

I did swap ADAT cables.

Because MOTU did a great job designing the 1248, I have 14 inputs just using the analog inputs.

But for some reason I miss having the +8 of ADAT, even though I typically can track things with more like a dozen inputs.

And I'm running a couple of the Focusrite mic pre's into the "Guitar in" line inputs on the 1248, which doesn't seem like a great idea.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:53 am

I also have the Motu 1248, before buying I had asked Motu if it was fine to use the guitar ins as like ins, they said yes just use the trimmer in the control panel. Fwiw

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:21 pm

friends don't let friends buy Behringer.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:53 pm

behringer make a pretty great ANALOG vibrato pedal - $35!
the new rules : there are no rules

kcswingmaster
ass engineer

Post by kcswingmaster » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:09 am

Are you talking about the fca16 by behringer? I bought one of these for the purpose of light piping a hd24xr to the computer via usb. I do at times use the behringer for tracking as a quick grab and go rig. FWIW its does just fine. No problems and I wouldnt kick anything it has tracked out of bed.................
cowboy by night

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:43 am

I would absolutely get the Focusrite up and running again. The AD card is excellent.

The ISA428 with the AD card is one of the best products ever put out on the market.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:05 am

Dot wrote:I would absolutely get the Focusrite up and running again. The AD card is excellent.

The ISA428 with the AD card is one of the best products ever put out on the market.
I'm thinking just repairing it is the way to go. The ADC is integrated into the pre, it works well. Sounds decent. The ADC may be fine, the pre powers up with all LEDs on even after I pulled the ADV card. Back to Focusrite. It worked perfectly for years but ran hot.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 am

Behringer gets a bad rap sometimes, I've got some real old Behringer gear still working, those Europower amps take a lot of punishment, I've seen them running bassbins for house systems, still kicking after years. Their bass amps are solid, their PA is good.

I've worked on Behringer gear, it's no worse than Mackie, certainly better designed than Crate. They have a better support staff than Nady who are just useless, never buy Nady unless you can just throw it away.

I have never used the converters, though I am considering getting a set of the Truth monitors after reading a recent Tape-Op thing where someone was saying their the best monitors in that and many other price ranges.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.