Return of the Chinese Condenser

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:02 am

I just pulled the trigger. Worst case scenario, if it turns out to be a dud, it should make a nice housing for a next-generation ubertar ribbon mic.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:24 am

ubertar wrote:I just pulled the trigger. Worst case scenario, if it turns out to be a dud, it should make a nice housing for a next-generation ubertar ribbon mic.
I'll look forward to the review!
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:35 am

Drone wrote:
Rigsby wrote:
Drone wrote:I'll post a sample next practice, if you have patience, but 10 - 12 quid, why not dive in? :mrgreen:
Yeah, I hear you, but generally I just don't like buying stuff at any price if it's just going to be a doorstop and thus a waste of the planet's resources. I do tend to buy second-hand as much as possible and I think very carefully before buying anything new. It's pretty much underwear, socks and hoodies I buy new, and food, obviously. Hard to find second-hand hoodies that haven't lost their shape and cosiness.
Well, at least you haven't gone as far as to freegan.

I say it all in my sig, for me, anything is a big purchase. Under $15 to try a mic, that makes my drums sound better, to the drummer, I did right. If I'd done wrong, oh well, at least I hadn't bought a $500 mic that sounded no better than my $30 ones.
I have done some dumpster diving in the past, there's such a colossal amount of waste that comes out of supermarkets. I'm totally supportive of the freegan thing.

As for purchases, nothing wrong with that, nothing at all. I don't really need any more mics at the moment, but a super cheap LDC if it's good would always come in handy, so my interest is piqued. We bought a house about seven months ago, quite a fixer-upper, so everything's kind of gone into that, and rebuilding and sound-insulating the old beach hut in the garden (which is done!). It's not the time to spend any real wodge on mics, but a new ?12 playmate would be fun.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com