How are hats being worn this season?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

How are hats being worn this season?

Post by alexdingley » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Trying to get a better capture on my hi hats ??I've tried a cheap LDC (AKG perception 420 - with filter & pad engaged) but it sounds like I'm getting too much air in the capsule... I've tried moving it away & angled out... but I'm not getting a usable sound that helps the overheads very much.

Back in the days when I recorded full time, I remembering have 451s and KM84s... I also remember someone using a TLM170 in figure 8... where the lobes were aiming UP and down / capsule parallel with the cymbals of the hats.

Anyway... looking for any suggestions on what mic to hunt for used / what kinda mic to make do with in the meantime.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Dynamic mics!!!!!!

Every time I tried micing the hat with a condenser I feels like an icepick to my eardrum. A dynamic, on the other hand, can work quite well. I've been having great results with a Beyer M201 lately.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:48 pm

SM7

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:16 pm

I dunno I don't feel like I gain much by miking it at all to be honest. Usually enough hi hat bs in the overheads and such don't ever use it when I have it. Maybe other drummers have quiet hats and delicate stick technique though?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:18 am

I've been using, when needed, a Shure SM81, with both the max highpass filter, and the highest pad on the mic.

I find it helps in a mix, when I can just creep up this one mic when the hi hat starts to lose definition in a denser mix, of when a trio gets really busy playing lost of notes.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:22 pm

years ago i got to do a session is a great old studio in vancouver and the assistant pulled out a little pencil condenser which we used on hi hat and it sounded GREAT. Smooth and not trashy like so many others. Then for 1 song the drummer had 2 snares going (one for verse and the other for the chorus) - the assistant moved the hihat mic
to the snare. WOW great snare tone too! and not clipping or anything.

i made note of the mic model and watched ebay for a few years until 1 popped up - i use it on hihat all the time and it rules.

Beyer 703.
the new rules : there are no rules

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mn412 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:31 pm

I also really like the sm7 on hats. 441 is also great. Problem is I only have one of each and I usually want to use them elsewhere. Have tried my fatheads there lately and really like them there. Also m160s can be great.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed May 04, 2016 12:54 pm

The rule is if I record the hi-hat I won't need it. If I don't record it I'll wish I did. Regardless of mic. But I can never say that I've been happy with any recording I've done of hi-hats. No matter which mic I've used.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 pm

AKG 451E with the pad and hi-pass filter. That or an AT 4051. Usually pointed straight down towards the hi hat, opposite the snare drum side, but a little out form the edge, where it's actually pointed at the ground. Still often have to roll off a good bit of the bottom end. Then, check the snare drum sound while flipping the polarity switch. Then, just BARELY sneak it up in the mix. On the rare occasions I mic hi hats, that's what I usually do. On occasion, I'll use some kind of weird dynamic-- usually something with a 1/4" plug-- Akai DM11 or Ampex 1101. If snare bleed is an issue, I'll put a music stand over the top of the hi hat and mic the hat from the back side of the music stand. But I almost ALWAYS need to drop out the bottom end with EQ.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC