New room planning and testing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

neonaudio
pluggin' in mics

New room planning and testing

Post by neonaudio » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:59 am

Considering moving into a shared space. I am mixing and mastering, and the room is almost a box shape, which makes me a bit nervous about acoustic problems. Dimensions are 15' 1.5" long x 12' 3.75" wide x 12' 9" high. Bob Gold's room mode calc looks pretty good, but there are some additional parameters to consider...

First, there's a ceiling tile frame (with standard tiles) installed about 7" down from the original wood ceiling. The height dimension I gave ignores the ceiling tiles, as I figured bass will go right through. I also thought I could use these tiles to spray in some insulation for an easy cloud? In that case, should I be measuring to the ceiling tiles as my height dimension?

Second, the corner of the room with the door is angled, so losing some cubic space there and not sure what that will do acoustically. Third, given the almost square shape, I'm wondering where the listening position will be. My first thought is facing the windowless brick wall about 1/3 distance into the room, but that will leave the monitors very close to the wall. Should I just try to add absorption behind the monitors or move more into the middle of the room?

Here are some pics, starting with the view from the door, then seeing the corner to the right, and continuing around:

I'm currently in a good sounding 24'x11.5'x12' room. I would like to partner with these folks, as it will give me access to some recording space and could open up my network. But having a good listening room is paramount, as mixing and mastering is what I'm primarily doing. So I'm wondering if this new room will be adequate and if it can be treated to sound good. Thoughts?