DIY spring reverb driver?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

Re: DIY spring reverb driver?

Post by floid » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Assume an 8ohm speaker. The schematic shows a pad network of a paralleled 15ohm resistor, a lamp acting as a current limiter, and the tank in series with the equivalent of a 6 ohm resistor...
These are all very small values relative to the typical output impedance of a line level device. I think this thing might want some juice.

It might be worth a shot to replicate the input pad shown, and hook it in parallel with the speaker of a low wattage amp. If this works, you'd then be looking for a way to eliminate the speaker.
Village Idiot.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:25 am

What he said :mrgreen:

You look at what originally was used to drive it, and extrapolate from there. Is your first statement confused? You say it has a 1.4K input, but your tech says it needs 4V ac into 1.5ohms??? 4V into 1.5 ohms is asking for 2.5W roughly, you won't get that from something that doesn't have a good amp, as in one that can deliver a bit of current. OTOH 4V in 1.5K is only 2.5mW that you could put a cheap LM386 in front of it.

Also in necklace spring reverbs, the orientation the tank is important, as the strings are slack, are you suspending it correctly?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:53 am

I feel like I must not be communicating clearly - I am not trying to use this with instruments through an speaker but you are suggesting I build that and then subtract the speaker?

I'm now wondering if the AO-35 is only the amplifier for the speaker and not necessary to drive the springs...

Basically the gist of it is that I have a necklace spring and want to use it as a outboard fx unit so I'm trying to determine what is needed to make that work. I had hoped that the Tank Driver would be enough but apparently it is not.
the new rules : there are no rules

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 pm

The lower left portion of the schematic provided indicates "input to reverberation unit" is connected to "signal from console speaker." You likely need something that provides a speaker level signal. You can then "fake" the speaker with a dummy load. It's not just an impedance issue, it's a level issue.
Village Idiot.