Re: What should I do with this Bassman?

Post by jmann » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks, folks! I love this forum.

I'll keep you posted.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:30 am

FWIW, and IME, what Snarl is talking about is 100% correct re stereo speakers and monitors.

That said, an "under-powered" guitar amp should not blow a higher-rated instrument speaker.

That said, playing a bass into any set-up with a guitar speaker probably risks blowing if you get to the point of distortion of the speaker or the amp.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 am

buy a head case on mojotone, it fits the super reverb head. use said head with other cabs, it will sound great. sell the speakers separately online, sell the cab online. you will probably make back what you paid for the amp by selling the cabinet and speakers. i have done it a few times with bassman gear (or fender bantam).

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:50 pm

The "underpowering" myth comes from people who distort their amp, which dumps a lot of high frequency content into a speaker that can't reproduce it. A big amp will also happily blow a speaker quite easily if you go beyond the speaker's power limits.

For live with that amp I'd look for cabinet designs that emphasize midrange rather than deep bass. Let the kick drum have the bottom octave, your job as bass is to fit in above that but below the guitars.