Tascam US-2000 bitcrushing audio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Tascam US-2000 bitcrushing audio

Post by Dubmaniac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 pm

My Tascam interface has started bitcrushing audio playing through it. It will be fine for the first few minutes, but then it'll slowly start to glitch out a little, then more, then it sounds like it's playing back audio at 1 bit. It has been working flawlessly for several years, but there was a big, ugly Windows 10 update in the last 48 hours, and since then, it's been crushing those bits. I've already tried restoring Windows 10 to a previous point AND installing different drivers, but it's still happening. This is a big problem because I have a paying client coming in on Saturday to record, and I've got to get this resolved by then. HELP!!!
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Re: Tascam US-2000 bitcrushing audio (FIXED!)

Post by Dubmaniac » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:08 am

FIXED IT! Last night, I was still having the same issue, so I decided to swap out my recording tower for a spare Dell desktop that has Cubase loaded on it. I was in the process of unplugging the first one when I found a pair of antennae on the back from a wireless card. That got me thinking. I had been through this before a long time ago, but I couldn't remember what I did to fix it. Suddenly it came back to me. I had fixed it by putting a USB wifi receiver on it (I know, I should have remembered, but a lot has happened between then and now). That big, burly Windows 10 Creators update that installed itself had switched my wifi receiver from the USB one to the PCI card- the one that was causing problems before. I fired it up, went into Control Panel, disabled the card and enabled the USB receiver, then fired up Cubase. That fixed it. Now I need to uninstall that wireless card so this never happens again. I posted this reply in case anyone else has a similar problem. I better get going- my client is supposed to be here at 2, and I still need to clean up the studio!
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Re: Tascam US-2000 bitcrushing audio

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Congrats.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.