Slate Everything Bundle

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Slate Everything Bundle

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:21 am

I can't afford to buy most of the plugins I want outright, so I've been thinking about going down the subscription route. I'm aware of three, Slate, Softube and Kush.

Slate Everything definitely has the most plugins. I've never tried any of them, but plan on downloading the demos today. I've read good reviews, but from what I've read in forums, people always seem to prefer something from a different brand over whatever specific FX is being discussed.
I'm not sure how long the demo lasts, but there are so many to check out that I'm assuming the trial period isn't long enough to really get acquainted with 'em all.
I'm curious about a few favorites of anyone that's familiar with the Slate product line.. just incase I miss some due to the extent of their catalog.

As far as Softube Vol. 1, I love the Summit Grand Channel. It's got one of my favorite EQ and compressor. I've tried some of the others included, but I'm not as high on them.

I don't even know what's included in the Kush Bundle. I've only tried their Electra EQ, and I really liked it.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Slate Everything Bundle

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:51 am

Here you can see the McDSP subscription page. I'm a big fan of the 6030 compressor package and the AE400 active EQ. I own both of those and have demoed others that sound really good as well.

McDSP was one of the early plugin developers that a lot of "name" guys started using as PT was taking over.

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:08 am

drumsound wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:51 am
Here you can see the McDSP subscription page. I'm a big fan of the 6030 compressor package and the AE400 active EQ. I own both of those and have demoed others that sound really good as well.

McDSP was one of the early plugin developers that a lot of "name" guys started using as PT was taking over.
Cool. I'll definitely check it out. I've had the McDSP Analog Channel for a couple months now and I'm still trying to figure out if I like it or not. That's the only plug of their's that I've tried.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I've been using that Slate bundle for a couple months now. I've owned the VCC and VTM plugs for a while, and I use them all the time. In the bundle, I really dig the bus compressors, and most of the VMR modules get use too. It's well worth the subscription fee.

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:32 pm

cale w wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:47 pm
I've been using that Slate bundle for a couple months now. I've owned the VCC and VTM plugs for a while, and I use them all the time. In the bundle, I really dig the bus compressors, and most of the VMR modules get use too. It's well worth the subscription fee.
i just downloaded every demo, but haven't had the time to check 'em out yet. How are the saturation/tape sim type plugs? That's one of the areas I'm lacking. I just have McDSP Analog channel and some free ones, but I'm either using them incorrectly or just still learning.

I only have one bus compressor, the Waves API 2500. Sometimes it works on bass and the drum bus, but I'm not sure how I feel about it on the 2 bus. In most cases, an ideal 2 bus compressor should be really transparent, and it seems like the 2500 is a bit too colorful.

I'm at the point with plugins that I really don't need anymore to make a good mix, but I love playing around with them and in certain situations I'm always finding new stuff that I prefer over what I have.

There are definitely expensive, out of my price range, plugs that I'm way more interested in than Slate's.. although that's a dumb statement since I haven't even tried Slate's yet.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:06 pm

I have the SLATE subscription and have been really enjoying the delays and reverb plugins lately.

Also the VBC is cool and the Rack thing has a few great modules (1176, distressor, neve eq, ssl eq)

good value for $ for sure.
the new rules : there are no rules

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:43 am

The VTM plug (tape sim) is really useful. It took me a while of A/Bing to figure out what it was doing, it's subtle but you miss it when it's gone. I like to abuse it with snares and other peaky things sometimes, it breaks up in an exciting way. It seems like all of the plugins the offer have some sort of drive or saturation that all do neat things.