Recommendations for Tape>Mixer>A/D>interface/software

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calebrwilliams
ass engineer

Recommendations for Tape>Mixer>A/D>interface/software

Post by calebrwilliams » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:00 pm

So let me start off by saying I have been out of the audio world for several years now but when I was in it I always found great help on this board. I'm trying to get my setup back and going, to mix down some unfinished sessions on my MX70 1", basically to have digital 2 track mixes so I can look into selling the tape machine and possibly my board as I don't use enough to keep. I'm mixing analog through a soundcraft series II, so the analog element is all good, but the digital end of my set up is LONG outdated. I have Protools LE 7 with an M Box 2, but I would use a Apogee Rosetta for A>D conversation and feed it into the spdif in on the mbox2. Since the ibook laptop I used to use is dead, and the 09' iMac I also used with it has been updated to El Capitan over the years, it sounds like my dusty Protools 7/mbox2 are essentially trash? Curious if there is a way around that.

SO what would you all recommend I look into getting to finish this job? Keep in mind:

-Needs to be cheap and bonus for free using what I have.
-Protool is really the only software I'm familiar with but suppose I could learn another if I can just use it with the Apogee.
-I'd like to still use the Apogee for better quality A>D but if I can't I can't. It has a few options for dig out.
-I don't plan on using this much in the future (although may keep the new digital set up to mix down from small tape machines I keep)
-I'm only using protools/digital end for a 2 track mix so only need to do minor edits, nothing much else.

I'm just so out of the loop with what is out there right now for digital options I figured I'd ask here to save me from cluelessly digging around. I greatly appreciate the help and may be posting some items on the buy/sell/trade page soon. I really do love recording music but I'm a stubborn analog guy and that style of recording just isn't fitting in to my life at the moment for a variety of reasons.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Recommendations for Tape>Mixer>A/D>interface/software

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:19 pm

IIRC correctly those old versions of PT are really finicky about what drive formatting you use, and for recording/playback... I don’t miss them.

Your inexpensive options are:

1. Track down an old computer and load PT 7/etc on that.

2. Load a compatible OS on a separate drive/partition and use your existing computer.

3. Download a trial of Reaper and purchase some kind of El Capitan compatible interface that has appropriate digital in. I think if you had the right connector you could go right into the mac’s digital in.

4. Reformat your existing computer to factory OS and install PT7 on that.

5. May be able to download the free Pro Tools First and record with that (not sure). But will need a compatible interface.