brightpavilions
alignin' 24-trk

Re: my mixes are hurting my earballs!

Post by brightpavilions » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:10 am
Hi brightpavilions.

I have a few days off.

If you want me to give you an objective analysis of your multitrack / mixing issues, send me one of your multitracks to take a look at.

I have both PT 10 and 12. I can go track by track, and also listen to your mix so far, and tell you where you need to look.

Sometimes, reading things on TapeOp cannot really give us any idea of what is what. Also, just listening to your mix and not the original tracks, won't

Cheers.
Thanks very much for the offer Nick. I think I'm going to take the overall feedback I'm getting and try to apply some of that thinking first. It might be that I won't be able to find it, or it might be that I'll totally find it ... but before I lean too much on anyone else, I'd love to try and get it right myself.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:07 pm

brightpavilions wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm
Thanks very much for the offer Nick. I think I'm going to take the overall feedback I'm getting and try to apply some of that thinking first. It might be that I won't be able to find it, or it might be that I'll totally find it ... but before I lean too much on anyone else, I'd love to try and get it right myself.
Ok, good. I do hope you find out what is bothering you about the mixing.
Cheers!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:36 pm

For what it's worth I didn't find this harsh or fatiguing at all, listening on ATH M50 headphones (which tend to accentuate high-mids and sibilance). In fact, I thought it could use a little mid boost! Must be your room or your earbuds.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 pm

FWIW, I put it up on my Tannoy 6.5 PBM II's and and I feel like the guitars are kinda distorted like recorded with a cheap condensor.

I put it up on Auratones and I really hear that - I thought "hashy" before I saw anyone else used that term.

And I agree that the drums in particular lack bottom.

Me, I'd start with drums, bass and vox, get 'em right, then bring in the other stuff.

Really like the song, BTW, especially the vox and and the pianer. Needs a loud lead guitar, tho', for me! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

brightpavilions
alignin' 24-trk

Post by brightpavilions » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 am

Magnetic Services wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:36 pm
For what it's worth I didn't find this harsh or fatiguing at all, listening on ATH M50 headphones (which tend to accentuate high-mids and sibilance). In fact, I thought it could use a little mid boost! Must be your room or your earbuds.
Huh! Well, that just goes to show ya' that you have to follow the vision YOU have for a project. What it sounds best to me, is what people are going to accept as the final product. Good reminder. Thanks for taking a listen!

brightpavilions
alignin' 24-trk

Post by brightpavilions » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 am

vvv wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 pm
FWIW, I put it up on my Tannoy 6.5 PBM II's and and I feel like the guitars are kinda distorted like recorded with a cheap condensor.

I put it up on Auratones and I really hear that - I thought "hashy" before I saw anyone else used that term.

And I agree that the drums in particular lack bottom.

Me, I'd start with drums, bass and vox, get 'em right, then bring in the other stuff.

Really like the song, BTW, especially the vox and and the pianer. Needs a loud lead guitar, tho', for me! :twisted:
Thanks for the kind words!

I've taken a step back from the material to clear my head/ears (plus, damn job) and I'm then I'm going to revisit. And I've got plenty of tracking to do on other songs still! But overall, that's a good approach. Thanks for the advice.

Also, thanks for reminding me to mention there will be a BOMBASTIC guitar solo during the instrumental break. Hold on to your butts. :)

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Jesus
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.