Tascam 388 monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

illuminations
pluggin' in mics

Tascam 388 monitors

Post by illuminations » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:17 am

I've been using the 388 for a long time but only recently starting using monitors. I previously had been using headphones for most recording, and have been pretty, uh, simple with mixing. I'm excited to start mixing more appropriately with monitors, but I'm wondering about volume. I want to mix down to a 2 track tape deck, keeping the stereo levels around 0, but when I do this the volume coming from the speakers is way to loud for my apartment set up. They are active monitors, so is this just the way it is? Is my best bet to just get some kind of a volume box between the 388 and the monitors? The diagram for the signal chain in the 388 seems to indicate this, but I'm not 100% sure I'm reading things correctly. Just want to be sure before I make a purchase.

I've done a little research, just in case, and a decent volume box at an affordable price I've found is the SM audio m patch 2 (or I guess JBL m patch 2 now). Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Re: Tascam 388 monitors

Post by psinglet » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:09 pm

I've never used a 388 but have used various TASCAM mixers and recorders over the years. Looking at the manual, I would say that you would connect your monitors to the "monitor out" jacks on the back of the unit and then use the "monitor/ phones" control on the top panel to control the volume of the speakers.

illuminations
pluggin' in mics

Re: Tascam 388 monitors

Post by illuminations » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks for the response.

I realized after posting that in my excitement to hook up my new monitors, I had them connected to the stereo outs on the back.

I hooked them up using the monitor outs and all is good. There is still a little issue running the monitors and headphones at the same time. The headphones are definitely coming through louder than the volume on the monitors. It's not a big deal, but I have been going back and forth, since I am really familiar with the headphones I have been using. Gotta turn down the volume when I switch to headphones or I get blasted with sound.

That said, it's been fun mixing material on the 388 with the new setup.