Recommend me a wild delay pedal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjau
speech impediment

Re: Recommend me a wild delay pedal

Post by mjau » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:25 am

So many fun delay pedals out there.
For the hazy washed out thing, I’ve been really into the Demedash pedal I traded for. It’s got loads of character. No tap tempo, but I don’t miss it.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Realistic Sound Mangler- I mean Realistic Electronic Reverb. Mine doesn't give pristine, beautiful delays and reverbs. Nope. It sounds like it looks- cheap and plasticky. But it's a whole lot of fun! Great for gritty, lo-fi analog reverb & delay effects. It almost acts like a fuzz pedal if it's pushed hard enough. And sometimes that butt-ugly tone is exactly what you need.
Attachments
23217.f.jpg
23217.f.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:13 pm

Dubmaniac wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 pm
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Realistic Sound Mangler- .
The story on this device, if I remember right, is that the notoriously cheap owner of Tandy bought a whole bunch of BBD chips that had failed inspection (and thus were to be had for next to nothing) and charged his engineers with the task of finding something to do with them. Basically the circuit was designed to avoid whatever conditions caused the chip to fail, & the result was the electronic "reverb"--they're noisy as all get out, but cool in their own special way.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:18 pm

Dubmaniac wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Realistic Sound Mangler- I mean Realistic Electronic Reverb. Mine doesn't give pristine, beautiful delays and reverbs. Nope. It sounds like it looks- cheap and plasticky. But it's a whole lot of fun! Great for gritty, lo-fi analog reverb & delay effects. It almost acts like a fuzz pedal if it's pushed hard enough. And sometimes that butt-ugly tone is exactly what you need.
$19 for the plugin version:
https://audiodamage.com/collections/sof ... ack-reverb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:54 pm

Dubmaniac wrote:
Oh man in the early days of my band we had one mic routed through this at all times. It was terrible magic.

Haven't thought about it in years and now I want one again. Damn you!

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:53 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:54 pm

Haven't thought about it in years and now I want one again. Damn you!
I might be selling one if you're interested.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:17 am

The Avalanche Run by Earthquaker Devices is pretty fun, can do some crazy stuff if you get the expression pedal. There's a reverse delay option too. And reverb. And in stereo it sounds lush and wide.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Big fan of Earthquaker Devices and Jamie's creations - the Afterneath can get you square into that cloudy dream space occupied by the likes of Eno or Harold Budd & John Foxx. The Disaster Transport Sr. is a dual delay that can get wild due to it's variable routing options. The separate delay channels can be each used solo, in parallel, in series or in series/parallel, so the resulting effect can get quite complex and rhythmically rich.

https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/afterneath
https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/disa ... ansport-sr
Last edited by earth tones on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:07 am

losthighway wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm
Long story I used to have one of the original Subdecay Echoboxes, actually before that I had an EHX Memory Man. When the pedal (and all of its neighbors) were stolen out of my car, I replaced it with the newer version. What they had done was class up the box, make it more subtle, less pushy, more like the MXR Carbon Copy. It creates echos that tend to want to space themselves behind your clean signal, the gain structure is pretty polite, kind of an extended echo working like a reverb pedal (to my shoegazey ears) in that it adds dimension without taking over. You have to really jack the dials to get it to oscillate, or make any kind of mess. It's a handy pedal, but I sometimes need broader, more psychedelic strokes.

Short story who knows of a delay pedal that tends to make big clouds of echo, and can slip into analogy (don't really care if it's actual or digital) smear, oscillation, and semi-controllable noise when coaxed. I need a dangerous delay.
Have you tried any of Malekko Heavy Industry's stuff? I had their delay for a while, EKKO 616. It's analog. I leans on the crispier side of things to my ears, but sounds really good. The modulation can get crazy. Definitely does the oscillation mayhem thing with ease. I sold it, of course, and I've always regretted it. I own 2 DMM now and I like one of them more than any delay I've ever tried, but the 616 always stuck with me as one I should buy again.

I've never really gotten into any of the more multi-function delays that I've tried, so I don't have anything to add about the more far-out ones. It's my favorite effect by far though.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:48 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:07 am
Have you tried any of Malekko Heavy Industry's stuff? I had their delay for a while, EKKO 616. It's analog. I leans on the crispier side of things to my ears, but sounds really good. The modulation can get crazy. Definitely does the oscillation mayhem thing with ease. I sold it, of course, and I've always regretted it. I own 2 DMM now and I like one of them more than any delay I've ever tried, but the 616 always stuck with me as one I should buy again.

I've never really gotten into any of the more multi-function delays that I've tried, so I don't have anything to add about the more far-out ones. It's my favorite effect by far though.
i have owned a couple of the malekko 616 and yeah they are super awesome and super cheap on the used market (for what you're getting). great pedal and manufacturer.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:32 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:48 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:07 am

i have owned a couple of the malekko 616 and yeah they are super awesome and super cheap on the used market (for what you're getting). great pedal and manufacturer.
Even new... $150.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:47 pm

Don't overlook the fabulous Ibanez DML 20 from the eighties. It's a digital delay with modulation, sort of like a pedal version of an Effectron. With short, conservative settings, you can get delays or chorusing or flanging, but when you start widening things, it can get pretty nuts.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:48 pm

cgarges wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:47 pm
Don't overlook the fabulous Ibanez DML 20 from the eighties. It's a digital delay with modulation, sort of like a pedal version of an Effectron.
This sounds captivating.

Goddamn, that Effectron. No matter how lush my reverb unit, or warm my tube compressor, nothing ever turns heads in the control room on a mix session like that Effectron. People who wouldn't stop talking during the session suddenly stop, put down their drink and go, "Wait a minute..... What.... Is..... THAT?!".

One of my collaborators almost named his album Effectron in tribute to it.

Edit: also bonus points, the DML 20 is a super ugly looking box, which somehow makes it even better.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:55 am

An old Ibanez DM-1000. The 500's are OK, but the 1000 has the Hold button.

It's diry, grainy, nasty and fun :alien:

Edit: I see Chris Garges mentioned an Ibanez already, it may be the same or similar, I need to check that out, but wow the prices on them have gone up, I got a pair for $40 a 500 and a 1000 together ages ago.

Extra Edit: They also almost sound better when the pots get old and scratchy, they get wild.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.