Recommend me a wild delay pedal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Recommend me a wild delay pedal

Post by losthighway » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Long story I used to have one of the original Subdecay Echoboxes, actually before that I had an EHX Memory Man. When the pedal (and all of its neighbors) were stolen out of my car, I replaced it with the newer version. What they had done was class up the box, make it more subtle, less pushy, more like the MXR Carbon Copy. It creates echos that tend to want to space themselves behind your clean signal, the gain structure is pretty polite, kind of an extended echo working like a reverb pedal (to my shoegazey ears) in that it adds dimension without taking over. You have to really jack the dials to get it to oscillate, or make any kind of mess. It's a handy pedal, but I sometimes need broader, more psychedelic strokes.

Short story who knows of a delay pedal that tends to make big clouds of echo, and can slip into analogy (don't really care if it's actual or digital) smear, oscillation, and semi-controllable noise when coaxed. I need a dangerous delay.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Recommend me a wild delay pedal

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 pm

diamond memory lane 2. great modulation and all analog long delays.

dod fx 96. my favorite analog delay ever. they stretched one BBD chip to unheard of lengths, when you max out the delay (and pot inside for more time) it gets wacky and wierd. also has a "tape effect" which is just a LPF which is cool cause it kinda modulates and gives funky tones to the repeats. cheap as hell, super underrated, i probably just ruined them by mentioning them here, now radiohead or some bullshit will be using them and they'll be at klon centaur prices. damnit.

malekko 616. clean, but the modulation can go crazy. cheapish nowadays.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:26 pm

I used to have that Boss/Roland Space Echo pedal, the RE-20 I believe. Lots o' fun. Read up on the "twist" function.

Sold that years ago though; now I very much enjoy the Minifooger delay. Expression pedal input and a dip switch inside to make it control either rate or feedback. Plus they threw in a distortion circuit just for kicks!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:47 pm

There are so many out there:

http://pedals.thedelimagazine.com/category/delay/

I recommend you spend time reading some reviews / looking at yootoob video demos of a few.

I have a EHX Memory Man with Hazarai, it can get somewhat wild. I have seen crazier newer stuff out there.
I am sure you'll find what you need with just a couple of hours of research.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:11 am

I recently picked up the Deluxe Memory Boy. It has expression, tap tempo, a pretty strong delay mix (blend), and the ability to choose dotted 8th notes, etc. ("tap divide"). It can oscillate like Superballs inna blender.

Point of fact, I bought the regular Memory Boy because my need was for something simpler, and the MB does chorus and vibrato.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Delay Llama Plus. I somehow got an early prototype on ebay for very cheap - I wouldn't have spent anywhere near the going rate on it at the time, but now if my pedalboard was stolen it'd be the very first thing I'd replace. Sound-wise it's a perfect mix of the old DM2/obscure Japanese smear-y, blurry analog delay and the kind of dirtier, starker original DMM. And personally, unless I'm doing something that stacks delays on top of reverbs on top of delays, I only use analog delays - I find they don't clutter the signal in the same way that digital delays do. It's the only thing I've ever been an analog purist about. I've played plenty of digital delays that are great analog sims tonally, but they always feel clutter-y when I play them. Because of its lack of clutter (to me), the hold button on the Delay Llama+ doesn't behave the way a hold on a digital delay ever could - you can get a swirling crazy mess going and still play *with* it and not *against* it if you want to. If that makes sense.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:44 am

Try the Danelectro Wasabi Forward-Reverse delay if you can. I haven't pushed it into oscillation, so I don't know about that side of it, but the tone is fantastic. I used to have a Boss DM2 and that was great, but the Wasabi actually improves the tone of the guitar. It's also the best reverse delay out there, and allows you to have the mix 100% wet, which is kind of the whole point of reverse delay, IMO. The cheap Dano delays, like FAB echo, can be modded to do all kinds of crazy self-oscillation. I think essentially the same mods can be applied to just about any delay. I think most of them use the same main chip (PTsomethingorother) anyway.
The Behringer Vintage Delay is a DM2 clone; it's cheap and sounds a lot like the original. A change of a pot value or two could get you what you're after, possibly.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:29 am

No experience with this one, only that I saw the guy is getting out of the pedal business so everything is half off. Looks pretty interesting. Not sure I need more echo...

http://www.squarewaveind.com/sq103.html

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:52 pm

If you like diy and tweakery, the Echobase is a good platform for playing with the pt2399.
Village Idiot.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm
Just came across this new one:

https://reverb.com/news/chase-bliss-aud ... rmae-delay
Whoa, that box is crazy, and that commercial is hilarious. I don't know that I'd ever use anything that complicated, but it's cool to see. Just when I think we've reached peak stompbox market I find more, and more unique boxes.

timbaier
gettin' sounds

Post by timbaier » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 am

Been through the gamut of delays, too many to mention. Still own a lot of them, but mostly I get bored and move on. (I keep a SD Vapor Trail for analog cuz I haven't found better.) Just (finally) got a Boss RE-20 and it is the most fun I've had with a delay in decades - it seems to be the one that is most like playing an instrument. Just the right amount of controls plus a certain amount of pixie dust.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 am

I recommend the Red Panda Particle Delay. It's mono and doesn't have tap tempo but you can get really wild sounds out of it. It's been my main delay since I've gotten it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUfj6y4NO0
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

SigGrieves
audio school

Post by SigGrieves » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Actually, on that same site, this is the article you want to read:
https://delicious-audio.com/crazy-cool- ... -creative/

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:02 am

Wild. I actually thought about starting a thread this morning about how much I love this thing: https://reverb.com/p/ibanez-es2-echo-shifter

It's a pretty cool sounding standard delay pedal.... until you flip that "Oscillation" switch. Then any setting of the feedback knob past about 9 o'clock takes you into crazy feedback land. I think of it as the "Radiohead switch".

Very fun.