Fostex Model 80

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Fostex Model 80

Post by joninc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 pm

Found a killer deal on a "mint" condition ($399) - anyone have any experience with these? Anything to look out for problem wise?

I realize this is no studio 2 inch machine but I like the idea of having some fun and getting away from the screen etc...
the new rules : there are no rules

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Fostex Model 80

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:25 pm

the only thing to look out for is there is no support from Fostex and no parts. So you either need a fully working machine, or to get another machine as a donor for parts.

If it works i've heard great results, like the 388 but does 15 IPS so less low end and more sheen.

I say go for it, i was looking for one for a while but found a Tascam 22-4 i'm using now.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:27 pm

I have the Model 80, and the later R8 sitting in storage collecting dust, unfortunately. Have been planning on taking them out for awhile now, but I also have a Teac 4-track and a Tascam 2-track that don't get enough use as it is.

They can be quite decent machines; we did a lot of production on them back in the day. Things to look out for-- basic maintenance (!); leds/meters can burn out or fritz, so you don't know if a track is recorded or playing back unless you hear it (seems like a "duh!", but if you don't have the visual reference, bad things can happen accidentally).

What else do you want to know? Like I said, decent machine, but it depends on what you want to get into. You could spend $399 a lot of different ways.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:33 pm

That price is kind of a no brainer. I see really bad cassette 4 tracks going for more than that now. Don't let anyone get you down talking about poor sound quality or any of that. I'm currently working on a soundtrack and recording everything on a tascam 488 cassette 8 track. By all accounts it should sound terrible but really it's pretty great. And the no screen thing is the greatest.