Mixing (summing) through Apogee Rosetta 800 plus outboard..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Krackle
studio intern

Mixing (summing) through Apogee Rosetta 800 plus outboard..

Post by Krackle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm using a Rosetta 800 for quite a while for recording and mixing in the computer

Currently using a Symphony 64 pcie card..

I've mostly mixed in the box and bounced etc

I've got some stuff I want to send out to some outboard..compression and EQ, mainly.and then back into my computer on new tracks..duh. My stuff usually never tops 8 tracks..right around 8

Wondering what I'll need to accomplish this and be able to monitor my hardware usage?

Do I need another 2 channels of conversion here?

I'm feeling very stupid..obviously, the Rosetta has 8 channels in and out..this is a summing situation without a summing box..my hardware isbasically what I'm after..

Can you guys give me a simple plan here? I can spend a bit of money but not a whole lot..

Thanks

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Mixing (summing) through Apogee Rosetta 800 plus outboard..

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi,

Do you have a patchbay? This would make this type of setup a breeze.

I do hybrid mixing all the time.

I always leave two channels of my converters as IO for the master mix.

Setup One:

Currently I have the following: Rednet 2 to / from a Pro Tools HD2 rig. 16 channels of IO.

Outputs 1-14, are the Stem outputs to my console, bass, drums, etc. come out to 14 channels on the console.

The console's MONO assign, and GROUP 1-2 are the MIX BUSS, and go to inputs 14, and 15-16 respectively. All 14 channels go to these busses for recording in ProTools.

Pro Tools Output 15-16 are going to the console's TAPE IN (for monitoring the final mix). This is the "cue mix" or "tape mon".

The reason I did not use the consoles "mix" buss is that this way I do not get confused LOL.

Setup Two:

INSERTS. This is when I am not outputting stems to the console.

I leave outputs 15-16 for the MIX buss from pro tools as the cue mix on the console, as before.

Now, I have 14 channels left for inserts, whether mono or stereo. In Pro Tools HD you can assign pairs of IO as inserts, which makes it easier to assign inside the Pro Tools mixer. I plug in each processor from channel 1-14, inputs AND outputs matching the numbers.

LA2a compressor channel 1 in AND out.
DBx 160 compressor channel 2 in AND out.
Stereo 1178 - channels 3-4 in AND out.

Just remember that Pro Tools and other DAWs like to pair Stereo outputs and inputs as adjacent numbers. So keep that in mind.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Krackle
studio intern

Re: Mixing (summing) through Apogee Rosetta 800 plus outboard..

Post by Krackle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks Nick,

No console here..I do have a patch bay but it's not in use right now..had to make my setup fairly compact a few years back and went completely in the box using my preamps and the Rosetta// compressors and EQ when needed during tracking..not often..sometimes running tracks through some of those..I guess I need to step up and get the patch bay up and running

Im thinking I need a 2 channel converter of some sort because I would like to have access to all 8 channels in the Rosetta..been thinking about picking up a Rosetta 200 for a while as they can now be found at great prices..im running my Rosetta 800 into a Symphony 64 card so i have another input on that card..Not sure if I have set up a extra device for this in my Mac.

I use Logic and Reaper for the most part these days. I'never used in inserts in the DAW setting..