Buck Owens show--impressed by the sound of the EV 666

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Buck Owens show--impressed by the sound of the EV 666

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:50 pm

I also use the 635a and the PL5 (same thing) frequently, and now that we know why we are being asked, well, I use I actually use it on mono acoustic guitars for inna rock mix. I've been known to just lay it on the desk in front of me, with the head hanging off, and play into it from about 6" away. It's good on BV's, also, sometimes on amps. I think of it as a kinda thinner-sounding omni '57 ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 pm

I've also got one and use it all the time. Amps, crotch mic on drums, AC GTR sometimes, and lately I've been using it lots on upright piano. I put it down in front of the foot panel pointed up at the harp. Sounds great in a rock/country context.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:07 pm

vvv wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:50 pm
I also use the 635a and the PL5 (same thing) frequently, and now that we know why we are being asked, well, I use I actually use it on mono acoustic guitars for inna rock mix. I've been known to just lay it on the desk in front of me, with the head hanging off, and play into it from about 6" away. It's good on BV's, also, sometimes on amps. I think of it as a kinda thinner-sounding omni '57 ...
Nice. "Lo fi" might have been too strongly worded on my part. I actually have a similar deal with the RE11 I have. It kind of filters an acoustic guitar in a dense rock mix into a place that's pretty helpful, not as flattering as a condenser, but it puts it in a nice place in the frequency spectrum.

I don't know why I'm asking for testimonials for one of the cheapest dynamic mics around, I should just buy one. At least everyone shared some fun ideas. Thank y'all!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:19 am

If you like the RE11, you'll like the 635a. If the EV 600 series is good for pounding 10 pennies, than the the SM57 is for 8 pennies, and the RE11/635a types are good for finishing nails.

Hammered the hell outta that non-sensical metaphor, didn't I? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:34 am

if you're looking for that flat "hifi" sound in a dynamic go no further than an Electro Voice RE-55 or PL-9. frequency response charts and info linked below, there are no sennheiser treble bumps, that's flat baby!

http://www.coutant.org/evpl9/index.html

http://www.coutant.org/re55/index.html

KermitPickle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by KermitPickle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:15 pm

I would love an re-55 but they're pricey. Going for $500+ now.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:27 pm

For whatever reason I always think I'll get a MD-441 if I want a hi-fi dynamic mic. But I've been thinking that for years, I guess I don't buy mics as often anymore.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Yeah, I've never been able to justify or find a good price for a 441 altho' I've wanted one for years, based upon what I've read.

I bought a really nice white MD421n off someone here about 5 years ago, and I do love that on vocals, but they say the 441 is much, eh, cleaner and hi-fi.

As far as buying mics, I'm now in the [un]fortunate position of having more than I need, such that anything I buy would have to be very esoteric, or a more expensive variation on something I already have (ex., the afore-mentioned 441, a Nuemman, a Royer, etc.).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:32 am

I was working on some music the other day in my studio singing into a 635 and playing acoustic (DI) guitar with a drummer - we were rehearsing using headphones and I thought I had some close mics on the drums cranked as they were SO LOUD (drums were in the null of the mic and 8 feet away in a large treated room) but it was all bleed from the 635 so I can't see these really working well in a live scenario with a a band - just way too omni!

for overdubs they could work - I love them on bgs, guitar amps among other things... wanna try the piano idea (@dave mckinnon)

441 is a tight pattern - also a great mic but the opposite problem in a live scenario - same with a RE20 - pattern is pretty tight and they like to be
close to the source.

Dave turned me on to the D224 - a really great sounding, hifi dynamic - surprisingly sweet top end. That might be a cool one for this application....

have you tried an SM7? it might get thin at a distance but it often surprises me with it's versatility... (any drums, overheads, piano, acoustic, elec, bass amp ... vocals, horns..)
the new rules : there are no rules

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:57 pm

joninc wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:32 am
have you tried an SM7? it might get thin at a distance but it often surprises me with it's versatility... (any drums, overheads, piano, acoustic, elec, bass amp ... vocals, horns..)
I use the shit out of my SM7. So much that I debate buying a second, or just getting an RE20 to have the other flavor of a similar thing.

I've recorded several vocals through the SM7 (picked over mics that cost 4 or 5 or 10 times as much) and had people ask, "What mic is on the singer? That sounds gorgeous. Did you rent a Neumann?".

In fact that mic is on lead vocals for a shocking number of records, I'd venture.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:04 am

losthighway wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:57 pm
joninc wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:32 am
I use the shit out of my SM7. So much that I debate buying a second, or just getting an RE20 to have the other flavor of a similar thing.

I've recorded several vocals through the SM7 (picked over mics that cost 4 or 5 or 10 times as much) and had people ask, "What mic is on the singer? That sounds gorgeous. Did you rent a Neumann?".

In fact that mic is on lead vocals for a shocking number of records, I'd venture.
I wish I had like 4 of them. Mine is weird lately. Very sibilant. I'm wondering if the diaphragm has succumb the spit from a hundred metal dudes screaming into it (the stock foam cover started to erode so I got rid of it). Anyways, SM7, 441, RE20 and lately M88 are my favorite dynamics for just about anything.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com