P Poppers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

P Poppers

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:45 am

How do you guys deal with popped Ps in a mix? I have a regular gig recording a live panel talk show and sometimes I get guests who pop Ps like crazy. My usual method of dealing with it is to zoom in on the wave, low cut and automate the volume down on the pop. It works fine but I'm wondering if there's a less labour intensive method that I've missed?
In the past I've also experimented with side chaining a compressor to only act on the pops. It worked too but the set-up for that was also a bit labour intensive.

Is there an all in one, silver bullet plug in or plug in setting for this?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: P Poppers

Post by kslight » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:50 am

Izotope RX is excellent for this and many other things. I picked up RX6 Standard and it has quickly become one of the most useful plugins I own.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:19 am

I record/mix a podcast for the library where I work, so I deal with this a lot. Best / quickest way I've figured out is to put a HPF on the track, set it to the cut-off point where the pop disappears, then automate the bypass on the offending syllables. Works well for me.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am

My standard approach is similar. Hi-pass at around 120 plus a -5-8db drop. I'm in pro tools so I do it with the audio suite plugs only on the bad spots. Adjust the edits, cross-fade and render the whole thing as a new file.
There's gotta be a quickest way though. Its basically the same idea as de-essing only affecting a different range. Gotta give RX a try. I wonder if there's a demo?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:23 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am
My standard approach is similar. Hi-pass at around 120 plus a -5-8db drop. I'm in pro tools so I do it with the audio suite plugs only on the bad spots. Adjust the edits, cross-fade and render the whole thing as a new file.
There's gotta be a quickest way though. Its basically the same idea as de-essing only affecting a different range. Gotta give RX a try. I wonder if there's a demo?
I mean, isn't automating the bypass on the plug-in quicker than doing all that extra stuff you're describing? Every now and then, I get a particularly bad one where I have to do more, but it's rare.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:35 am

Maybe?. The low cut and volume drop happens in the same plug so it's one step. The only drawback with automation is that I'd have to export in real time to get the clean track.
I record the show and then do a clean up on the tracks and export. The host handles the final mix (it ends up as a podcast). If I was mixing it'd work fine and I wouldn't bother rendering new audio but with this I send him mix ready tracks so he just needs to worry about volume and panning.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:55 am

I've just used a de-esser set to a way lower frequency in the past.

Or, if the pop is louder than any other part of the vocals, just set a compressor threshold for it, with an extreme ratio and fast attack & release.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am
I think there is a demo. It’s freaking magical. I use it to zap plosives, click bleed, edit pops/clicks, tape echo crackle, mouth sounds, hi hat/snare bleed from kick and Vice versa...even trimming down some hi hat from overheads/Room mics is surprisingly effective... So much more effective than EQ or deesser or a hpf.

For those times when simply re-recording is not an option it can be a life saver.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:13 am

Some great ideas in this thread. My go-to has been the labor-intensive editing that A. David is describing.

A.D.-- Just for the heck of it, what mikes are you using? Windscreen? Is maybe a double-windscreen appropriate? (the foam cover plus a pop-filter or a dead cat?)... HPF on the actual input, versus adding it later in post?

Is there any way to coach guests prior to recording, in hopes of at least making them more aware and maybe giving you a 50% break?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:20 am

Gregg Juke wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:13 am
Some great ideas in this thread. My go-to has been the labor-intensive editing that A. David is describing.

A.D.-- Just for the heck of it, what mikes are you using? Windscreen? Is maybe a double-windscreen appropriate? (the foam cover plus a pop-filter or a dead cat?)... HPF on the actual input, versus adding it later in post?

Is there any way to coach guests prior to recording, in hopes of at least making them more aware and maybe giving you a 50% break?

GJ
I wish this was the answer. On all my other work fixing things at the source is mandatory. On this gig it's never really completely possible. The talk show is part of a monthly mini festival of art, comedy and music. We're usually on first but there's no sound check to speak of and set-up time is super minimal (there's usually a band checking while I set up). Mics are always 58's and I always high-pass at the pre. I may invest in a half dozen foam popper stoppers to make my life easier. Coaching the guests is a tough one. It's hard enough to remind them to hold the mic somewhere near their mouths when talking.
It's the most seat of the pants gig I've ever had. I take a split of the stage mics and put up some pairs to catch the audience and room and then away we go. When it's all done I've got about 15mins to tear down before the next set starts. For the most part the results have been pretty good to great but you just have to cross your fingers and roll with what you get.

Some great suggestions here though. Thanks all.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Oh, wait, this thread isn't about amyl nitrate?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:01 am

I second Gregg suggestion to get pop filters for all the mics and just use them.

It will absolutely make it a LOT easier. And that is the goal, isn't it?

Pop filters for those SM58s also come in lots of colors so you can easily
identify anyone who may still need post processing later, if need be.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 pm

vvv wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Well done.

(I usually get my fix with this kind of humor over on Albini's board.)

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:20 am

losthighway wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 pm
vvv wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Well done.

(I usually get my fix with this kind of humor over on Albini's board.)
lol. college. :high:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Glad I didn't do a dossier joke. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.