edit/work speed pro tools vs other platforms

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

edit/work speed pro tools vs other platforms

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:36 am

i had a friend come in to assist tracking my own band a couple weeks back (i'm a drummer, so it can be tricky sometimes). i've been on steinberg platforms since i switched to digital many years ago and have been on cubase 6 for about 5-6 years now. i know some quick keys, but def could probably brush up and learn more. it has been fine for my workflow, but editing full band takes can get a bit messy sometimes, as can keeping multiple takes. partially for that reason (also thanks to my years of analog recording), i try to not keep too many extra takes of things, but sometimes this can't be helped or it seems to be wise for efficiency down the line.

my friend is more familiar with pro tools and had switched from a very old version of Nuendo many years ago. he insists pro tools is much easier and quicker, once you get used to it. i'm curious if i just need to learn some more quick keys or if i'm actually wasting some time utilizing my old DAW for editing and should just take the damn plunge on Pro Tools already?

anyone else switch recently and/or utilize multiple platforms? I have Reaper also, but don't track with it often as I'm just faster in Cubase.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: edit/work speed pro tools vs other platforms

Post by kslight » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:53 am

I’m way faster in PT. I haven’t touched Cubase in 13 years. I do use Ableton and Reason though.

Depends on what you need the DAW to do. I think Ableton is absolutely terrible for editing, I’m not even sure how I would actually edit real instruments with it tbh, especially multi-mic drums.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:02 am

I don't think it's accurate to say any DAW is faster than another - power users can work quickly in their chosen platform.

I find Cubase way more intuitive than pro tools and am way faster on it...
the new rules : there are no rules

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:53 am

I'm ALWAYS fastest in Sony Vegas (I know I'm like the only person in the world recording with that software), until I need to pass something along to someone using Pro Tools and I have to bounce a million stems. Otherwise, lightning fast.

But yeah, it's all in what you know best.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:49 pm

I'm sure its what you're used to. I do know that some software makes more sense to me. I can't, for the life of me, get comfortable on Digital Performer. I feel like no one who worked i audio had anything to do with the programming and UI development. Pro Tools makes more sense to me. Most thing that I would want to do in the hardware world can easily be done on PT, as well as all of the things one wants a DAW for.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:19 am

For me Cakewalk Sonar was the fastest. There are just a ton of things you can do in terms of editing regions without having to go to an edit window or anything. Right in the multitrack view you can trim, edit, and fade in/out regions with various key combos and also by hovering over certain areas of the regions.
There are also some quick comping tools that work pretty great when you get the hang of them. There used to be a really cool beatmapping function. But it got gutted when they added in their looping/autotuning features.

In Logic I find the same procedures to be much more tedious. The beatmapping is okay, editing in multitrack view isn't as fast, and fades are not so easy.
However, Logic crashes much less, and give me far less headaches in terms of sync and soundcard setup.
While still being pretty powerful on the MIDI side, and being a Mac program so I don't have to deal with Microsoft.

I've only used PT a few times over the years. I hear it can talk MIDI now?
Wow it's growing up so fast.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:41 am

I've been using Pro Tools since 1996.

I always come back to it.

No extra nonsense. No frills.

For editing large track counts, I really cannot see using anything else. Maybe Nuendo. Maybe that one.

But for me, when I have a client breathing down my neck, and I gotta edit some stuff down fast,
I do it as fast as they can tell me what they want.

Pro Tools is SIMPLE. No weirdness. You can't make it look different, or have tons of windows.
But it is perfect for music editing, especially live musicians.

Yes, it does MIDI. Really really well.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.