Tascam TSR-8 pinch roller, Tascam 238 Tape Head Cleaner

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kbucks
audio school graduate

Tascam TSR-8 pinch roller, Tascam 238 Tape Head Cleaner

Post by kbucks » Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 am

Howdy folks,
Dusting off my old Tascam TSR-8 for a fun project coming up and I'm a bit rusty with this stuff, so I need a little advice.
1. the "tire" on my TSR-8 pinch roller has turned to gum...almost a jelly bean like texture, very gross and definitely not useable. (photo attached)
IMG_3609 smallest.jpg
IMG_3609 smallest.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
I see a couple folks selling pinch roller tires on ebay. I'm assuming I just carefully remove the old tire, clean off the area as best I can and cram the new tire on the roller? Let me know if anyone has experience with this.
2. all my tape head cleaning fluids have dried up. are there any DIY solutions and chemicals I could use or perhaps a recommended product to purchase.
I've also acquired a Tascam 238, so an effective way to clean and maintain the heads would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
kbiz

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Tascam TSR-8 pinch roller, Tascam 238 Tape Head Cleaner

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun May 06, 2018 10:33 am

Contact Terry's Rubber Rollers. They make new parts or will rerubber your old parts. I bought new rollers for my TSR-16. They were a perfect fit and the customer service was top notch.
For head cleaning look for 99% isopropyl alcohol. Most drug store stock it but you may have to ask at the counter.

kbucks
audio school graduate

Post by kbucks » Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks, any instructions out there about lubricating these things? I've got new belts and tires but it's making a creaking sound.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 am

Hmmmm. Not specifically. Have you got a manual? There may be some instructions there. Otherwise find a good tech in your area. Actually, find a tech either way. The truth about tape machines is that you'll need a tech sooner or later. Usually sooner.

GeorgeToledo
audio school graduate

Post by GeorgeToledo » Sat May 19, 2018 8:40 am

Tascam has a way of surprising, in carrying replacement parts for machines that you would think they wouldn’t. Especially for things like this. They’d be my first shot, and then the third party stuff after.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat May 19, 2018 8:57 am

GeorgeToledo wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:40 am
Tascam has a way of surprising, in carrying replacement parts for machines that you would think they wouldn’t. Especially for things like this. They’d be my first shot, and then the third party stuff after.
I dunno about this machine specifically, but last time I called them a few years ago they were totally out of Parts...even belts for the 388/38/688...and no plans to make more. I had to resort to eBay.

GeorgeToledo
audio school graduate

Post by GeorgeToledo » Sat May 19, 2018 11:36 am

Copy that.

kbucks
audio school graduate

Post by kbucks » Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 pm

There's a company via ebay called westcoastresale that i just purchased a new tire and belt from. Quite inexpensive.
I've got pdf's of both tsr8 manuals, but I'm having a hard time finding any information on lubrication. I've got it working, its just very creaky!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 pm

there is another site too

https://www.tascamninja.com/

they seem to have a ton of parts. never used them so i can't comment on how they are.