Setting up Tascam 38 8-track with Tascam M30 mixing console

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TheJuniperBerries
audio school

Setting up Tascam 38 8-track with Tascam M30 mixing console

Post by TheJuniperBerries » Fri May 11, 2018 11:36 pm

Hey guys! I'm relatively new to analog recording and I have a few questions about how to get the most ease of use/performance/sound quality out of my new Tascam 38.

It came with the M30 mixer, which I'm told is essentially the mixer designed to pair with this machine.

-My first question is which outputs to use going from the mixer to the 38. My first guess is to use the Direct Outs, but there are a lot of options here and I don't entirely understand what all of their purposes are.

-My second question is whether or not I can have the mixer set up to push signal onto the tape, as well as monitor back what has been recorded on the tape at the same time (my only analog recording practice thus far was on a 424, so I'm hoping to use this tape machine/mixer combo in the same way eg: record, listen, record, listen etc.)

-My third question is how you might recommend I back up my tape recordings digitally? I know there are several different heads in the 38 so I'm wondering if I could be recording onto the tape (rec. head) and then immediately play it back into my digital interface (playback head??) all in one go.

TLDR: I have this awesome new piece of gear that I'm really excited to start using but I'm in a little out of my depths :oops: :oops: :oops:

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Setting up Tascam 38 8-track with Tascam M30 mixing console

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 am

first off i highly recommend getting the manual for both machines and reading it a couple of times to understand how to use all the functions. both can be found at HifiEngine (google search) with a free membership (its all free). Or just google search them.

1. Direct out from every channel to Input on 38. Output on 38 to Tape In on every channel on m30.
2. if you are talking about simply listening off the repro head to the stuff going onto the tape, yes, just put the deck into repro mode while recording and that's what you'll hear coming back to the mixer. mixer monitor section set to remix and you'll be listening to that. if you want to listen to what's going to tape, simply set 38 to input mode and the monitor section of m30 to input. the 3 head design of the 38 is input (what's coming in), sync (if you're recording track 2 sync'd up with what's already on another/other tracks) or repro (playback of the already recorded material). if you are talking about playing drums on track 1 and then in another take wanting to lay down bass while listening to the drums to make sure they are tight. im not sure if you can monitor in the mixer with some tracks on input (what you're recording now) and some on remix (what was already recorded), but if so you'd have to read the manual, you'd have the 38 in Sync mode.
3. sure just record to the tape, then take the outputs out of the 38 and put them into your digital whatever, set head to repro and press play, you'll playback the recording and can press record on the digital.

enjoy the world of analog reel and tape :)

TheJuniperBerries
audio school

Post by TheJuniperBerries » Sat May 12, 2018 9:44 am

Awesome, thanks for the thorough reply! I'm really excited!

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 pm

though, depending on your workflow - especially if you'll need to do any punch-ins, you may want to wait until tracking is complete before dumping to digital.

TheJuniperBerries
audio school

Post by TheJuniperBerries » Wed May 30, 2018 12:38 am

That's a good point. It's all dependent on how I record drums. I'm thinking i'll do 5 drum mics, DI bass and guitar (reamped after bouncing to digital), and a live vocal