Tascam 244 to monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jfelton616
audio school graduate

Tascam 244 to monitors

Post by jfelton616 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Hey y'all

I've been holding off grabbing cables to hook my 244 to some monitors and finally did it today. Some XLR to RCA cables. I hooked it up to line out left and right to no avail. Is this the correct method and if not what is?

I appreciate it!

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Tascam 244 to monitors

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri May 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Are they powered monitors? If not, you'll need a power amp or receiver to give the signal enough juice.

Also - those RCA outs are unbalanced, and XLR is balanced. Depending on how the cable is wired, that could be just fine or could cause problems for you. Read up on what that can affect here: http://www.rane.com/note110.html

jfelton616
audio school graduate

Post by jfelton616 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Yes they are powered monitors. I'll read up on that link but do you think the balanced/unbalanced thing is a reason for no sound?

I'm aware that this 244 doesn't have designated monitor outputs but i know it's possible! Just a wee bit of troubleshooting.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sat May 19, 2018 4:05 pm

Try running the line outs, aux outs, and tape outs into your computer (if you have an audio interface) just to see if any signal is present. If there's a headphone jack try that too. I don't know your level of experience but I'm gonna ask the noob questions anyway, apologies if you already tried this stuff:

-Are any channels soloed or muted?
-Are the channel inputs set to what you're trying to hear? ("tape" for playback, "mic/line" for input)
-Is the monitor section set correctly? (probably "remix," but I'm not sure)
-Faders up?

4-tracks have kind of confusing routing systems; you sometimes have to set them up differently for recording, overdubbing, and listening/mixdown. I'm assuming you're trying to do the latter, but I could be wrong. If no sound is coming out of any input at all with any settings at all then... yikes :?

jfelton616
audio school graduate

Post by jfelton616 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks for the help. I've been using headphones and I hear everything in there so everything works. Signals are present and everything. I just want to hear things on monitors too. I tried the line outs. Didn't try the aux outs because I've been using that to send everything out into a Micro Limiter but will try those too and keep yall posted.