Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: "On kicks with different mics like ya do"

Post by drumsound » Sun May 27, 2018 2:43 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:12 pm
Everyone knows who sits on 'the throne' in your studio.
Yo!

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed May 30, 2018 11:51 am

i do usually go with my beta 52, but after i blew out my second one in 10 months and had to send back to Shure for a replacement, I ended up using a D6 I got on a deal and it did a fine job and either that or my Beta91 have gotten the nod since even I got the 52 back. I sometimes like the Heil PR40 for faster stuff. have been pairing outside mics sometimes - subkick, mostly, but did use an SM7 not so long ago with good results.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 30, 2018 11:51 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:51 am
i do usually go with my beta 52, but after i blew out my second one in 10 months and had to send back to Shure for a replacement, I ended up using a D6 I got on a deal and it did a fine job and either that or my Beta91 have gotten the nod since even I got the 52 back. I sometimes like the Heil PR40 for faster stuff. have been pairing outside mics sometimes - subkick, mostly, but did use an SM7 not so long ago with good results.
What kicks are you on for other instruments.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 am

It’s been a really long time since I’ve used an RE20 on kick (or anything) but yesterday saw an ad for an SUV load of Free A/V equipment...in one of the photos I spotted a PL20...so I accepted the challenge of having to pick up everything to get one potential treasure. While some equipment is of questionable modern application (tons of old VCRs...), there were a few interesting bits to sort through to make it worthwhile.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 am

Wed May 30, 2018 11:51 am
I always preferred the D6 to beta 52 on bass drum.

Cirrus
audio school

Post by Cirrus » Thu May 31, 2018 2:59 am

I have pretty much a poverty level mic locker, but the last year it's been all about the RE20 for me.

Vocals, bass, kick, guitar, it's hard to go wrong with it. Something lovely about the midrange, but also the way it captures everything but doesn't hype anything. On kick, for example, it doesn't give you the thump and click a Beta52/D112 etc does... but it's all there if you give it some EQ, and it's not mangled the midrange in the process of giving it to you. On vocals, it's got no proximity effect and very little handling noise so I love being able to hold and work it, and on guitar combos it gives a particularly nice lower mid body without being murky.

I know it's not the be all mic, but I do feel like I'd need to to spend a lot to get something that's actually better.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 31, 2018 7:21 am

I'll out-poverty you and mention the RE320 which I understand is basically a transformerless RE20.

Surprisingly nice, clear-sounding and un-hyped mic - it really sounds like what you put it on.

The bad part, like the RE20, is the form factor; my total guess is the size creates a tuned chamber?

My typical use, I'm afraid, is rack or floor toms, mostly because of its size.

And as you said of it's predecessor, it takes EQ really well.

Also, in a pinch, it can be used as a softball bat, just not for Chicago-stylee 16".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu May 31, 2018 7:46 am

Since I got an AEA R92 it has lived on a Princeton amp. That just works. Sometimes I'll pull the ribbon aside to do other duties, but its home is right on the grill of the Princeton.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 am

drumsound wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:51 pm
Blue Mouse for bass cabs! used to pair with M88, but not finding any need to these days.

still mix up guitar mics pretty often, though my Joly Modded RSM5s end up getting a lot of use

snare has been M201 on top and 441 on bottom, unless positioning is too difficult - those ATM450s are great for tight spots. why aren't more SDCs side-address?!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 pm

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 am
drumsound wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:51 pm
Blue Mouse for bass cabs! used to pair with M88, but not finding any need to these days.

still mix up guitar mics pretty often, though my Joly Modded RSM5s end up getting a lot of use

snare has been M201 on top and 441 on bottom, unless positioning is too difficult - those ATM450s are great for tight spots. why aren't more SDCs side-address?!
I wish more mics, both dynamic, and SDC were side address. Have you tried the Shure Beta 181? Super cool, super small, great sounding mics.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:15 pm

drumsound wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 pm
I wish more mics, both dynamic, and SDC were side address. Have you tried the Shure Beta 181? Super cool, super small, great sounding mics.
i haven't, but i'm curious (no tapeop review yet?!). have you? would love to get a more musical side address SDC. the ATM450 always sounds a little honky to me. and i'm in no shape to go investing in josephson e22s (though a boy can dream).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:10 pm

I've been using some side-address dynamics on amps quite a bit, a EV609, and a N/D3088. The 609 is said to be nice on snare ...

I also have a Superlux PRA-628 what is very similar to the 609 in appearance (but round rather than squared), a bit brighter in sound.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 am

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:15 pm
drumsound wrote:
i haven't, but i'm curious (no tapeop review yet?!). have you? would love to get a more musical side address SDC. the ATM450 always sounds a little honky to me. and i'm in no shape to go investing in josephson e22s (though a boy can dream).
I reviewed them for Recording Hacks
http://recordinghacks.com/2012/09/27/sh ... 81-review/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:35 pm

drumsound wrote:
I finally got a Shure Beta 91a last year. Mostly for recording demos in a tiny 10x11 rehearsal space and I didn't want a kick mic stand to be in the way. I've always been a two mics on kick person, and the Beta91 has become my new favorite inside kick mic along with the 4047 out front.

I"m really jonesing for a pair of the Shure Beta 181's though. I love using Oktava Mk-012's on toms, I figure these would be just as good and easier to place due to the side address.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:23 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 am
drumsound wrote:
I reviewed them for Recording Hacks
http://recordinghacks.com/2012/09/27/sh ... 81-review/
Tony,
I'm into getting a pair but can only afford one style of capsule. I don't know to go with Cardioid or Super Cardioid. I edit the fuck out of toms so I'm leaning towards regular ol' cardioid. These will be used on toms, snare, as well as any other not so loud sources.