Re: "On kicks with different mics like ya do"

Post by drumsound » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:35 am

trodden wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:23 am
drumsound wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 am
permanent hearing damage wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:15 pm

i haven't, but i'm curious (no tapeop review yet?!). have you? would love to get a more musical side address SDC. the ATM450 always sounds a little honky to me. and i'm in no shape to go investing in josephson e22s (though a boy can dream).
I reviewed them for Recording Hacks
http://recordinghacks.com/2012/09/27/sh ... 81-review/
Tony,
I'm into getting a pair but can only afford one style of capsule. I don't know to go with Cardioid or Super Cardioid. I edit the fuck out of toms so I'm leaning towards regular ol' cardioid. These will be used on toms, snare, as well as any other not so loud sources.
Super cardioid will have less bleed and the tighter pattern I think would still make edits less noticeable. I think if using them as close mics, in general, that might be the better choice. If you're thinking more 'general purpose' and want to use them further from sources, and as rooms at times, cardioid makes more sense.

Personally, I reviewed them because I wanted to try figure 8 SDC and I was not disappointed. I still want a set, but I prioritized other things. Maybe I should bump them up the list again.

You can also buy capsules later.

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:48 pm

I'm using a Shure KSM8, it's a great mic.
Cardioid pattern is as close to perfect in terms of frequency consistency as you'll find.
It is a dynamic mic with a passive diaphragm at the other end of a chamber of some sort.

The proximity effect is more like an omni, it doesn't get boomy when you get close and it doesn't thin out as much when you back off.
I put it through a Cloudlifter, well below the chin, back off a bit and it provides a full tone without plosives or sibilance.

You can mic anything with it, I like it.

Been playing around with a Heil PR40, that's nice. And an AKG D310, I'm not sure I like it but that's what I like about it.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:49 am

ok, since we're back on kicks not referring to bass drums (which I think was the OP's original intent), I'll just say that I've pulled out my Revox M 3500 for a few sessions lately - most recently on a guitar amp where it did great (as it had done before). The 3500 is similar to the Beyerdynamic M201 - pretty sure it was made by Beyerdynamic but from what I've read the impedance is 600 vs the M201's 200 ohms. Oh, and the 3500 has a Tuchel connector. I've never compared them side by side (and I do have a M201TG as well). the 3500 sounds great on snare and other percussion as well.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:58 pm

i bought a rca 77d this year and I've been trying to use it EVERYWHERE lately and it rarely disappoints. (also sounds amazingly BIG and quiet through the AEA trp pre amp too.) killer drum OH, upright bass, acoustic guitars, banjo, mando, amps ... wow.

Also pulled my ATM 25 off bottom of leslie and put it in a kick (after using re20 mostly for the past few years) and man was i reminded what a punchy little beast this thing is!! so underrated.
the new rules : there are no rules

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:58 am

I recently changed out my SM7b on bass amp to an RE320.

I am unfortunately not currently recording drums ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:12 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:49 am
The 3500 is similar to the Beyerdynamic M201
Haven’t used the Revox, but if I had to pick one mic for everything, it’d be a 201. I have a pair and could probably use another pair.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:20 am

mjau wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:12 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:49 am
The 3500 is similar to the Beyerdynamic M201
Haven’t used the Revox, but if I had to pick one mic for everything, it’d be a 201. I have a pair and could probably use another pair.
yeah, I bought my M 3500 at least 10 years ago and I think it came from Germany and was < $150 shipped (maybe more like $125). I was just looking at current prices (zoiks!!) and would definitely go with another 201 myself if I needed a pair...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:21 pm

just jumping back on this recently resuscitated thread to state that I have since gotten 3 Beta 181s and I want more. stomp all over the wimpy and thin ATM450s. still wanna compare them to e22s. lent one to a friend who was tracking at Electrical recently, but he ran out of time to compare them. he did end up using it on batter kick head, strange enough.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:23 pm

also since this is about kick mics, since this thread started some years ago, the Alien 8 has come out and it rules! Don't plan on using my Beta 91A or Beyer D71C anytime soon.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:20 am

- M88 - bass cab. Historically always used an RE20, but historically also always had to add a hefty midrange boost to get heavy distorted bass to cut through, which I'm finding is not the case with the 88. Just sounds less cloudy.

- Soyuz Bomblet - guitar cab - often alone as opposed to the usual ribbon/dynamic setup I'm accustomed to. Thing has kinda been a game changer for me.

- 4038's in Blumlein - front of the kit - positioned properly it's like 50% of the drum sound

- sE VR1 - OH - just the right amount of top end to where I'm not recoiling in my chair when the drummer starts bashing away, and sorta scooped enough in the mids to where I'm not cutting a lot to open em up.

- GT MD1a / Charter Oak 538 M/S pair - room - The GT alone is great, but I'm pretty in love with M/S lately and the CO is my only condenser that does fig. 8 at the moment.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:22 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:20 am
- M88 - bass cab. Historically always used an RE20, but historically also always had to add a hefty midrange boost to get heavy distorted bass to cut through, which I'm finding is not the case with the 88. Just sounds less cloudy.

- Soyuz Bomblet - guitar cab - often alone as opposed to the usual ribbon/dynamic setup I'm accustomed to. Thing has kinda been a game changer for me.

- 4038's in Blumlein - front of the kit - positioned properly it's like 50% of the drum sound

- sE VR1 - OH - just the right amount of top end to where I'm not recoiling in my chair when the drummer starts bashing away, and sorta scooped enough in the mids to where I'm not cutting a lot to open em up.

- GT MD1a / Charter Oak 538 M/S pair - room - The GT alone is great, but I'm pretty in love with M/S lately and the CO is my only condenser that does fig. 8 at the moment.
I recently did 4038's, Blumlein, in front of kit, in a good sounding room and it's fucking amazing.