"On kicks with different mics like ya do"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

"On kicks with different mics like ya do"

Post by vvv » Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Postered by drumsound here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89195&start=15

Man, ain't that the truth? I realized the other day that I have a really nice Sterling Ocean Way ST6050 I haven't used in about 6 months, and that made me remember a Genesis FET ..

I'm pretty good about changing out close amp and vocal tube mics (I find such changes inspirational) but realized I have a Trion ribbon I haven't used in a while also, and it is so sweet through a phantom booster for room on amps.

But ya get onna kick, or inna rut, and then ya get reminded about it.

Were yooze just now?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: "On kicks with different mics like ya do"

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 25, 2018 12:24 pm

I've cycled through a bunch lately. 602, 421, M88, EV664, Apex 210 ribbon. Lately I've just been using an RCA varacoustic 5 feet out front to pick up the whole kit. That counts right?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 25, 2018 1:08 pm

My favorite for some time has been the Shure Beta 52, and nothing else. Well, balancing that with the overheads, usually AKG 451eb or AKG414s.

That said, the most I did for a kick was Shure sm58 inside, RE20 inside, Telefunken U47 three feet outside, and that took a while to get the sound just right. One Bruel&Kjaer 4006 for the room, and AKG 451eb s for the overheads.

If you get the balance right between overheads and kick, the rest is just really mics to help capture softer hits on the different sections
of the drumkit. Depending on the drummer and song, you can get away with a little, or mic everything.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 25, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm thinking you didn't specifically mean kicks as in "bass drum", or maybe you did... Last night I did a track that needed some jazz brushes. I leftmy typical Audix D6 in the kick, and a 57 on the snare, but most of the sound came from a Warm Audio WA87 that was almost in my face over the center of the kit. I did that recently with a MA-200 as well. I've had this WA-87 out a lot lately trying it on all kinds of different stuff - vocals, percussion, room, etc.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri May 25, 2018 2:38 pm

I fell into the habit of the Sennheiser e-602 cause it has pretty predictable results. Then after mixing a few records in a row where I only took that as my kick sound, I remembered how much better it is with an LDC outside the kick to compliment it.

I usually like FET stuff for this, so my Mojave 301 gets used a lot, but even a 4033 does something nice if you low pass it. Gives the kick a more authentic character and oomph along with the Senn's focused attack.

Only had the brass to stick with the SM7 on kick once, cause the drummer was on board with something sounding 'smaller' (for some reason drummers don't usually like that idea). Sounded weird solo'd. Took a ton of eq, but ended up sounding more like a classic record than these new-fangled things with crazy frequency response patterns.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm

So locally this kid for the senior prank put his school building up for sale on Craigs List and in the advert stated it was because of the "upcoming loss of students". Funny prank, and he was clearly, and he stated inna TV interview very convincingly, referring to the approaching graduation and departure of the graduates. the school ruled that it was a potentially threatening, even terroristic, statement.

What goes to show how ya gotsa take context into account.

What drumsound said, in totality (and linked above), was: "Yeah, the guys at AA were very generous with letting me keep the mics for a while. I wish I didn't have to send them off. I'll probably get a CM67se by year's end. I have a 563, and I need to use it more. I used it a TON for a while, then I got on kicks with different mics, like ya do."

What I take to mean, "kicks" in the Paul Revere and the Raiders sense.

Also, I gotta broke Mini-Mouse amp, too.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri May 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Well, now you know what mics people have been on kicks with for their kicks. Sorry.

I put a Beyerdynamic m201 on the snare a decade ago and have been on that kick sense. Couple of times I've added a Shure ksm141 lined up with it, I often put a 57 underneath, mostly cause I don't have another 201, but that's been the longest kick of them all.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat May 26, 2018 8:15 am

Beyond the kick kick, I put an RE15 on snare about a decade ago and have pretty much stuck with it since. The PL6 (an re15 variant) is great on rack tom.

A place I do a bunch of work out of has 3 ATM25s. When I’m there I use them a ton. Bass amp, guitar amp (sometimes), kick, toms. It’s hands down the best single mic kick sound I can get. Beats the 602 every time.

Beyond that, Blue Baby Bottle on acoustic guitar. It’s the only use I have for the mic but it does it well enough to justify keeping it.

Lately I’ve been doing weekly soundtrack sessions with a long time collaborator. We get together for a few hours every Thursday and put something down on the cassette 8 track. For those sessions I put a few mics on stands and shuffle them around depending on what part is getting recorded. A few weeks ago we did a whole tune almost exclusively with a 635a. This week it was mostly my new modded reslo ribbon and an RCA MI-6203. Other times it’s almost all 414s or AKG D224s or whatever else is on a stand. If I remember I’ll try to dig something out of the mic locker that I haven’t used for a while or have bought but never used in a ton of applications. It’s a fun experiment. Sometimes you hit on a really great and unexpected pairing. Other times you realize that the gear doesn’t matter as much as you might think.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 26, 2018 10:00 am

Hmmm.

I'll do, like, a buncha vocals with the same mic, or a buncha guitars, but I don't use the same mic for vocals and guitars.

On the same song, that is.

I remember when a guy did some songs using only 57's, got some publicity and some good results.

OT: Lately, I have been using the same pre for vocals and guitar, which pre might change from song to song; I always use the same pre's for bass, tho'.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 pm

vvv wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm
So locally this kid for the senior prank put his school building up for sale on Craigs List and in the advert stated it was because of the "upcoming loss of students". Funny prank, and he was clearly, and he stated inna TV interview very convincingly, referring to the approaching graduation and departure of the graduates. the school ruled that it was a potentially threatening, even terroristic, statement.

What goes to show how ya gotsa take context into account.

What drumsound said, in totality (and linked above), was: "Yeah, the guys at AA were very generous with letting me keep the mics for a while. I wish I didn't have to send them off. I'll probably get a CM67se by year's end. I have a 563, and I need to use it more. I used it a TON for a while, then I got on kicks with different mics, like ya do."

What I take to mean, "kicks" in the Paul Revere and the Raiders sense.

Also, I gotta broke Mini-Mouse amp, too.
You are correct. My statement referred to being "on a kick" of using a certain mic a lot, usually on a number of sources.

I ABHOR the term "kick drum" and only use it in a context such as this. I either write out bass drum or abbreviate to BD. I prefer to reference a musical instrument with a musical term as opposed to referencing what something someone in a shiny uniform does to a ball in a stadium.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Why, drumsound, you must be a drummer! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 26, 2018 8:30 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:22 pm
Why, drumsound, you must be a drummer! 8)
I must!

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sat May 26, 2018 9:47 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 pm
I ABHOR the term "kick drum" and only use it in a context such as this. I either write out bass drum or abbreviate to BD. I prefer to reference a musical instrument with a musical term as opposed to referencing what something someone in a shiny uniform does to a ball in a stadium.
That's funny, I avoid the term "bass drum" because that's what it's called in a symphonic context. Also, when you're scanning through the tracks in your DAW or a folder, "kick" helps distinguish it from bass guitar tracks.

Different strokes, eh?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun May 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:47 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 pm
That's funny, I avoid the term "bass drum" because that's what it's called in a symphonic context. Also, when you're scanning through the tracks in your DAW or a folder, "kick" helps distinguish it from bass guitar tracks.

Different strokes, eh?
But, the history of the drum set, (originally called a trap set BTW) took elements from the orchestra, concert and marching bands and put them together, So the bass drum in such a set was an orchestral bass drum.

As to looking at the screen or track sheets, BD looks different enough (for me) from Bass that there is no issue. Also back in the tape days you wanted things that were more low end focused on the edge tracks, so BD on track 1 and bass on track 24 (if not using time code). I was so used to them being on other ends of the console that I still have them come put of PT that way.

But I get where you're at. What every works for you own workflow.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun May 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Everyone knows who sits on 'the throne' in your studio.